Please sign in to post.

Train travel from London to Edinburgh on Boxing Day (December 26th) 2015?

How can I find out whether there will be trains on Boxing Day 2015 from London's King's Cross station to Edinburgh and what the train schedule might be? I have heard that there is the number of trains running on that day is likely to be fewer (or maybe none?). If it is difficult to get on a train, we may have to stay another day in London and I need to plan for that ASAP, if possible. I checked the National Rail website but the last day for which it shows trains running anywhere in December is December 25th (there is no January calendar up either) so was concerned if others report either difficulty getting to King's Cross or difficulty getting on a train from King's Cross to Edinburg.

Posted by
5326 posts

Virgin East Coast hasn't put anything on its site regarding twixmas services yet (although they confirm nothing on Boxing Day). West Coast indicate a Sunday service running on 27 Dec.

Posted by
32746 posts

I've just looked if any Christmas holiday information has been posted for the route in question. In fact, none has yet been posted for any route.

It is difficult this year because of the length of the Christmas period this year. Usually engineering work is done on many lines between Christmas and New Year.

This year, with Christmas Day on Friday, that means that Boxing Day is Saturday - when almost all trains are always stopped - Sunday always has a lighter service, and the Christmas Bank Holiday then has to fall on Monday.

So I would, unfortunately for you, not be optimistic about a lot of trains going between Scotland and England, including London, during that time.

One interesting twist is that this is the first Christmas time for Virgin East Coast - the government only just gave them the franchise and they want to impress on a line which has recently been a graveyard for 3 former companies - so it is hard to know what they will do. The unions traditionally are pretty hard about working over Christmas, and there is all that engineering work to do.

I suggest that you either consider another option or check back frequently until the arrangements are posted.

Posted by
5326 posts

One company has posted extensive information just this week on its own site because of extensive holiday closures and diversions related to Crossrail - GWR. No relevance to this journey of course.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks to all for your very prompt responses (I was pleasantly surprised and thank you all). A further question (or two): if the trains aren't running on Boxing Day from London to Edinburgh, I suppose that we could fly. We will be staying near the Earl Court's tube (which is on the same line as Heathrow). If the tube is on strike or disrupted, then taxis should be working on Boxing Day? On the Edinburgh end of this trip, will there be any difficulty getting from the Edinburgh airport into the city on Boxing Day? Finally, is there any place at Heathrow to leave extra baggage? I have left bags before at King's Cross at "left luggage", but thought that airports would be less likely to have a "left luggage" area. We are a family of four and will be returning to London on December 30th and would prefer not to haul all four bags to Edinburgh if it can be avoided. I know that there are several questions embedded here and apologize.

Posted by
4 posts

I should add that we are planning to return from Edinburgh to London by train on December 30th (even if we have to fly from London to Edinburgh). Is there any reason to be concerned about train travel on December 30th on that Edinburgh to London route? That is a weekday, but clearly during the holiday period.

Posted by
4684 posts

30th December will be fine. If the Piccadilly Line has engineering work, the Heathrow Express sometimes accepts tube tickets for that single day or weekend. I don't know about left luggage at Heathrow or Edinburgh Airport links, I'm afraid.

Posted by
32746 posts

So no Virgin East Coast services on Boxing Day.

Posted by
32746 posts

Having had a dig around, I can confirm that there will be no services on Boxing Day on the alternate route, Virgin Trains West Coast, the route up through Carlisle via Birmingham.

I don't have any idea how you can find local transport to and from your airports, probably a google search.

The Tube will be running on Boxing day, depending on time of day expect nodody else or a lot of people on a Boxing Day Tube.

http://www.virgin.com/travel/christmas-and-new-year-services-virgin-trains