Please sign in to post.

Train travel

We will be travelling from Brussels to Liechtenstein in May 2012. Also from Liechtenstein to Slovenia. Any suggestions as to train travel? Thanks.

Posted by
32850 posts

I'd be sure to get to the station a few minutes early, and take food and drink with you.

Posted by
4684 posts

There is a railway through Liechtenstein but it doesn't pass through the capital, Vaduz. Most sources suggest that there are buses to Vaduz from Sargans station in Switzerland, near Zurich. You have two choices for travelling from Brussels to Switzerland by rail. The first is to take the high-speed train into Paris and out again. However, this will be less convenient in 2012, as they will be changing the Paris station to reach northern Swiss destinations from gare de l'est, which is within walking distance of gare du nord where the Brussels train arrives, to gare de lyon which is a longer RER or metro ride away. Alternatively, you can do the shorter but slower traditional route from Brussels to Basel via Luxembourg and Strasbourg. There are three trains a day and the route passes some attractive scenery. But compare times and prices as the high-speed route may be faster even if travelling via Paris seems like a detour.

Posted by
19103 posts

Use the German Rail website to find schedules. There appears to be only bus service to Vaduz and there are multiple stops in the town. I used "Vaduz Post", but you might find one closer to you destination. For the connection to Slovenia, you'll need a town name (Bled, Ljubljana, Trieste). One of the fastest ways (9:02) I see is the 10:25 IC out of Brussels to Frankfurt, ICE to Ulm, and an IRE to Lindau. From Brussels to Lindau you can get a Europa-Spezial fare for as low as €39/P with advance purchase (reservations €2,50 with online ticket purchase). From Lindau to Vaduz is a 45 min regional train to Feldkirch for €11,40/P and a ½ hr bus to Vaduz. It looks like you can book Feldkirch to Ljubljana on Austrian Rail's website (www.oebb.at) for as little as €29 with advance purchase.