Please sign in to post.

Train Travel

My daughter and I will be traveling from Paris to Munich. Munich to Vienna. Vienna to Budapest. Budapest to Prague. Prague to Rhine Valley area. Rhine to Paris. My head is spinning with what type of pass to get. This will be done in a span of 10 days. After this staying in Paris but might take a day trip to Brussels or Genoa. We want to go the least expensive way. She is college aged. I am obviously an adult. Confused if I buy Euro Global Pass do I still have to pay for reservations?

Posted by
4637 posts

I don't want to disappoint you but your schedule is not realistic. You want to do 7 to 9 cities or areas which are quite apart in just 10 days. Add days or cut cities. Point to point tickets are usually cheaper than railpass. To compare prices go to Deutsche Bahn website. For prices of trains which do not originate or end in Germany go to their national rail website. Look at your option of railpasses (there are many) on line and compare prices with point to point. You pay for reservation of seats with or without railpass.

Posted by
33555 posts

You are joking about a day trip to Genova, right? Really? Do you know that the earliest fastest train leaves Paris at 7:49 and arrives at Genova at 1553, changing at between the two stations in Torino. The last train back from Genova to Paris, retracing the journey, leave Genova at 1512 - that's leaving 41 minutes before you arrive. That train arrives in Paris at 2319. It can't be done. No pass can make it happen. The rest of your journey can probably be physically done but do you really want the vast bulk of your vacation looking at the insides of trains. 6 major cities very distant from each other in 10 days will be very tough. I can understand why your head is spinning. Mine would be too. Now, all that's probably not welcome news, I realize that, but if you are going to do that make sure your cameras save GPS information of the pictures so you can both remember where you have been... To do it cheapest? Second Class tickets purchased the maximum days ahead for the cheapest fares, non-refundable. Paris to Munich will require mandatory reservations, and there are severely restricted pass holder tickets on TGVs in France. The same will apply on your journey from "Rhine Valley" to Paris, and your day trip from Paris to Brussels (why not a day trip to Bruges instead?). The Thalys train between Paris and Brussels is actually even much worse for passholders than the TGVs. Sorry for the bad news.

Posted by
14806 posts

Hi, Needless to say, you need to extend your trip, ie., add more days or curtail the number of cities you want to visit. I would skip Prague, Genoa or Brussels, or add another five days. The Global Pass has its advantages as well as diasadvantages, depending upon what you value as priority. I've done Paris-Munich on a Pass but it was at night on the CNL. Would I do it again? Not absolutely since the armchair option wasn't offered, which is preferable to a compartment seat. I suggest you do that route by day. While it is true that if you take the TGV the limited passholder situation may or may not happen to you; it's pure chance. Should that happen, you still have a number of options: ask if you can go 2nd class, assuming you want 1st class in the first place, ask when the next dep. is, 1st and 2nd class, or change your route (still you have choices here: Paris-Strasbourg, Paris-Saarbrücken, both 1st and 2nd class are available with your Pass on the ICE or TGV. There are mandatory reservations going from France to Ger. on the ICE and TGV, day or night, Pass or no Pass

Posted by
2 posts

Well I am finding I have not been clear about our travel plans. The ten days is to see Munich, Vienna (one day here), Budapest, Prague and Cologne (Rhine Valley area for hopefully a cruise on the river). We are planning on taking four different night trains so we can sleep while traveling to the next city (Paris to Munich, Munich to Vienna, Budapest to Prague, Prague to Cologne). These would be in some type of sleeper car. Our time in Paris is completely seperate from this trip and any trip to Brussels or Geneva (my typo error in previous message) would be traveling to the city (in the morning)with an overnight and then back to Paris late in the day. I am finding a nice site that is helping me called raileurope. Thank you for your input. We are considering changing our plans some.

Posted by
8308 posts

Wendy: The only night train I ever took resulted in just about no sleep. You might be a zombie after 4 night train trips. Have you considered flying one way on EasyJet from Paris to Budapest to get into your farthest city? Then, take the train to Vienna and another train up to Prague. FYI: Budapest to Vienna is about 150 miles northwest. Vienna to Prague is about 170 miles northwest. That's not that long if you can book an express train. You really need to reconsider the cities on your itinerary, as you don't want your trip to be a blur. Most travelers on this website suggest open jaw (multi city) flights that fly into one city and out of another. Open jaw flights give you more time in great places and they are a cost saving.
And few travelers buy train passes due to cost, preferring to purchase point to point tickets.

Posted by
33555 posts

Thanks for your clarifications, Wendy. It is good to see Genova is off - there's not much to see there and, as you saw, it is a real bear to get to. Your redefinition of "day trip" to mean overnight trip is helps us understand what you would like to accomplish. You say that your dear daughter is college age - does that mean that she is under 26? If so, and as you are trying to save money, that might present a little difficulty when using passes. Under 26 is eligible for the second class pass which is much less expensive. You, on the other hand, are eligible only for the First class passes. So, unless - having paid for First Class for yourself - you want to sit in second class for the journeys you won't be able to sit with your daughter; or more correctly, she won't be able to sit with you. You could both get First Class passes but then you lose the price advantage of her young age. There have been many discussions on this helpline over the years about night trains. Having ridden on many night trains over the decades I can say that, for me, I have probably ridden on my last one. However, YMMV, your mileage may vary. They may be the best thing since sliced bread for you and your daughter. Just be prepared for the following, as you may very well experience some or all: ... more in next message ,,, only 2000 characters per message allowed

Posted by
33555 posts

... continued from above ... Very narrow bunks (18 inches approx) which are very hard Unless you get a train which goes straight through, changing trains at least once in the middle of the night Extended layovers in deserted stations waiting for the next train in the middle of the night Banging, crashing, and/or bumping as the train waits somewhere for time, or is shunted, or is broken down and recombined with other trains Shouting and other human sounds as the train makes its middle of the night station stops to add or subtract passengers Bumpy ride, especially around towns going over switches If you choose couchettes to save money, up to 4 strangers in your compartment with you Few if any showers; some toilet facilities are less than "ideal" which is OK for a short trip but may get old after several nights Very early arrival in your destination city - what will you do with your luggage at 6am? You may be able to leave it at your hotel but you won't be able to check in. I remember turning around in Vienna once when my pack wouldn't fit in their lockers at the station and I was fed up. I got on the next train back to Cologne. I was tired and I'd had enough.
Hanging around at stations in the late evening waiting for your night train. I work on the railway and while watching the night creatures can be "interesting" its not particularly enjoyable. On the other hand, everything may be copacetic. You said that I am brutal. No, I tell it like it is, based on my personal experiences. I've personally experienced all the above except I haven't used a couchette. I have slept in sleepers and I have slept in day compartments. ... still more

Posted by
2393 posts

Me - I sleep like a baby on a train! I do usually get 1st class compartments but I have also spent the night in a 4 or 6 recliner compartment. Either way I sleep fine - I may be the exception I know.

Posted by
33555 posts

... yet more ... Your daughter may enjoy it. When I was 19 I had a ball quickly getting onto a train, closing the curtains, turning out the light, spreading out, making myself as offensive as possible including taking off my boots for the best flavour and hoping nobody else came in. No More... Now for the good... The City Night Line from Prague to Cologne (final destination Amsterdam) may be a decent choice. It leaves just after dinner at 1829 and there are no changes for 12 hours, arriving Cologne at 0614 if it is on time. City Night Line is certainly the top cream of the night trains. If you can enjoy any night train it might be that one. It only makes passenger stops 12 times during the night, and there are no passenger stops between 00:32 and 03:55 so you might get a little sleep. Do be sure to check that it fits with your plans as it by no means runs every day. - = - There is a CNL from Paris Est to Muenchen Hbf 2005 to 0710 which is more expensive than the Prague - Koeln one. That one doesn't run all the time either. Munich - Wien (Vienna) is best done by Railjet for a fast through train. Regionals will be somewhat cheaper but much slower. All night trains between those cities involve a change except the EN463 which originates in Munich Hbf at 23:40 and arrives in Wien (note it is Wien Hütteldorf) at 05:45. It only stops for 2 minutes on its journey to Budapest so you need to be ready to get off straight away.

Posted by
33555 posts

EN476 is the only non-changing train from Budapest to Prague, on its way to Berlin. It leaves Budapest-Keleti at 20:05 and arrives at Prague (Praha hl.n.) at an eye watering 04:09 in the morning. That train doesn't run every day. Oh I wish I were so young at heart...

Posted by
14806 posts

Wendy, A good deal of information and advice above to consider as you plan your trip. Factoring in four night train is something I might only do if the trip were 8-9 weeks. I have no problems taking night trains provided certain conditions are available, such as either the compartment seat or better still the armchair seat, ie., no couchette/sleeper. But in your case one night train ride suffices. I suggest that you limit that option. Doing night trains requires some travel discipline and planning as to pacing yourself. Arriving at 0600 is not all that undesirable... for me as long as it's in Germany or Austria. True, you might have a check-in problem. BUT, in France, Germany, Austria I've checked in early other than the designated time as stated by the hotels. The independent hostels have 24 hour check-in. Only in London at various B&Bs was I required to wait until 1500 to check in. They did allow you to leave your luggage in the waiting area. Re: early arr: At 06:00 the food court opens up at the stations. I've never had problems getting a coin locker upon such an early arrival if you don't head for your accomodation right away. Re: Munich to Vienna: the Railjet train is direct, 4+ hrs. For Prague-Köln I would tailor the route myself to be on a CNL. I suggest Prague-Berlin, change to Berlin Hbf.-Köln Hbf. CNL after 19:00. Berlin Hbf. is a very nice and safe station to wait at. You'll see DB security personnel patrolling, even city police.