Please sign in to post.

Train transportation

Thank you so much for your recent response. My question is. Is point to point train fare consired round trip? Or just one way? Sorry if this questiin sounds stupid. I've never traveled by train anywhere. Thank you for your time and patience. Sincerely,
Maribel

Posted by
1028 posts

When purchasing the ticket you have to decide if you want a one way or return ticket.

Posted by
23572 posts

Generally there is no or little discount for a round trip tickets. So generally you just buy one way tickets as needed.

Posted by
33555 posts

This question may relate to another but it isn't clear which. There are no stupid questions, only questions which need answers if you don't know the answers. It isn't clear what country you are speaking about. It may have been clear elsewhere but sometimes we see dozens of questions in a day and it isn't clear whose question goes with what. Point to point is simply a way of saying a normal train ticket as opposed to a pass of some sort. If you wanted to go from Miami to West Palm Beach by some means of transportation then Miami would be one point and West Palm Beach would be another point - the transportation would link up the points. A round trip fare would take you from your start to the destination and back again. What that is called in Europe would depend on which country you were in. The expression "round trip" is an Americanism. In England, for example, a one way trip is called a "single" and to go and come back, round trip in American, is called a "return" in England. In England, by the way, a same day off peak return, a "cheap day return", is often only 10 pence more than a cheap day single. In England, at least, it is often considerably cheaper to have a return than two singles.

Posted by
14806 posts

Hi, If you're doing a round trip between two countries in one day, such as going from Vienna-Budapest as a day round trip, normally that would count as two point to point tickets. But, sometimes, (and this is where you have to ask) such a trip done in one day offers a discount because you returned on the same day. In May 2010 I bought a ticket r/t Wien West to Budapest Keleti pu the day before in Vienna for departure on the next day. When I told the clerk the return would be on the same day, he said that entitled me to a discount...a pleasant surprise.

Posted by
6898 posts

Maribel, point-to-point is simply Point A to Point B. For example, Rome to Florence. In this case, Rome is Point A and Florence is Point B. When you intend to book tickets online, the system will ask you if you want a one-way or roundtrip fare before you actually purchase. It then becomes Point B back to Point A. You book airline tickets in the same manner.