Please sign in to post.

Train transportation

Has anyone had a problem making train resevation on Euro Raiways? We are having a problem and would like suggestions or other options to make resevations in advance. Thank You
Shirley

Posted by
19092 posts

Before resorting to any of these 3rd party, stateside booking agent, try the national rail companies in Europe.

Example, I just requested fares on EuroRailways for Frankfurt airport to Munich. They came back with a ticket for $145 ($133 fare plus $12 premium train fee). German Rail sells that same ticket, using todays exchange rate and 2% CC fee, for less than $128. What's more, German Rail's ticket is a full fare, fully refundable and exchangeable ticket. What does EuroRailways offer?

If you "want" a non-refundable ticket, German Rail has Dauer-Spezial tickets on the same train for as low as €29 (about $45).

Posted by
23268 posts

The experience rail travelers on this site have posted over and over and over, that there is little advantage to none for purchasing rail tickets ahead except for night trains. When and where are you traveling?

Posted by
4555 posts

Frank....some "experienced rail travellers" DO book ahead to take advantage of advance-purchase web specials on the national rail websites that may not be available when you arrive.

Posted by
23268 posts

Norm, you are correct. In some countries, especially Britian, the advance discounts are worthwhile and should be reserved in advance. But for other places like Italy, Switzerland, and others it does make a lot of difference. That is why I asked her when and where. Mostly France and Italy.

Posted by
4555 posts

I dunno Frank....saving 20% on Trenitalia's regular fare seems good to me....providing, of course, you can get signed on to buy them on line! And France PREMs tickets are a steal if you know the schedule you'll be keeping. Must be my Scottish blood! ;)