Please sign in to post.

train transfer times

I am planning to travel from Paris to Munich by train this summer. The transfer times at Stuttgardt are like 8 minutes of 14 minutes. Can you make another train in that amount of time. Are the trains on time in Germany? What do you advise that I do?
Sandi

Posted by
1840 posts

It would be pretty difficult to make a transfer in eight to twelve minutes unless you trains are next to each other. Maybe some beforehand research might help if there is any way to know which platform you get off on and which platform you need to find to get on. We had about an hour at that station so we didn't have to hurry.

Posted by
32173 posts

sandi,

I've found that the times listed for transfers are usually more than adequate. For the trip from Paris to Munich, there's a departure on the current schedules from Paris Est to Munich at 09:10, arriving at 15:28 (time 6H:18M, one 15 minute transfer at Mannheim, arrival platform 3 and departure platform 5). That's probably the one I'd use. When making transfers, I usually double-check the platform numbers on the electronic board, as there can sometimes be changes.

To answer your question, I've found that the trains in Germany are most often on time and very reliable. However, every so often there are minor delays for a variety of reasons.

Posted by
11613 posts

I've made 6-minute connections when the trains were on time and near each other (no tunnels or escalators needed). If you are traveling alone, it's less of a concern than if you are with others. I try to have a backup plan (how long until the next connection?) and try not to have a short connection for the last train of the day.

Posted by
19052 posts

It should be enough time as long as you are at the end of the carriage with your luggage, ready to get off, when the train arrives at the station. This is not an aircraft; you don't have to stay in your seat until the vehicle comes to a complete stop at the station (if you do you will find yourself fighting to get off with the people coming on).

Most of your time will be spent locating the stairs and getting down into the tunnel, but a lot of people will be going there; stay with the herd. If people are still getting on the train, the conductor won't release it. The distance in the tunnel between platforms is not the much. Platforms far apart don't take that much time.

Posted by
16893 posts

It's also my experience that DB usually allows adequate transfer time. Do take your luggage and stand near the exit as soon as the train approaches Stuttgart, to avoid being at the end of the line. The high-speed trains of France and Germany both participate in the Rail Team program, allowing you to use your ticket on the next available connection, if your first train is delayed into one of their hubs (including Stuttgart).

There is also an afternoon train that is direct from Paris to Munich, without transfer.

Posted by
15560 posts

If you can figure it out, get a seat that's near the front of the train when it arrives in Stuttgart . If you end up in one of the rear cars, try to make your way forward through the train before people start getting up to disembark (which can even be 15-20 minutes before arrival). If you wait till people start getting up, you won't be able to get through. If you are in one of the rear cars , you will be plowing your way through all the passengers rushing down the platform to board that train.

Posted by
1929 posts

We are set to encounter the same type thing in March, on our train trip from Lucerne to Milan. Lucerne / Arth-Goldau arrives at 10:11, and Arth-Goldau / Milan departs at 10:17. I can only imagine that it's a small station & and that the connection must be directly across the platform. Yes, we will be at the ready with bags in hand, but I feel fairly confident depending on Swiss accuracy! :)

Posted by
4324 posts

I did many Swiss train transfers a few months ago and basically, if you are of normal mobility and don't have too much luggage and don't stop for snacks or restroom, you can make the transfers. Try to find out just before you detrain or immediately after you detrain what track you need and head there briskly.

If for any reason you'll need more time than usual, their transfers are so tight that things may not work out. That's why I always picked up a little pocket schedule whenever I got to a train station, so I'd always know when the next train was.