Please sign in to post.

Train to edinburgh

How do I get cheap train tickets to edinburgh. I searched on thetrainline.com and for a family of 4 (2 adults + 2 kids 10 and 6) it came pretty expensice around 350 pounds. Is it really that expensive.

Posted by
1840 posts

Where are you beginning the train trip to Edinburgh? For 350 pounds you must be coming from outer space. We have taken the train back and forth between Edinburgh and Glasgow at least half a dozen times and the tickets were no more than a few pounds if you travel after 9AM and 6PM.

Posted by
7025 posts

If you're coming from London that could be about right. When are you traveling?

Posted by
32704 posts

When?

You didn't answer the very important part of the question. Until we know when we can't tell you what the cheapest fare is.

Posted by
16893 posts

Yes, that's a common price for 4 people to travel from London to Edinburgh in 2nd class. I believe you're traveling in June. If you're ready to lock in travel dates and times up to 3 months ahead for significant discounts, then do so at www.nationalrail.co.uk.

If you have addition questions after doing some more research, it may help to post them together, instead of as separate topics. So far, we don't have a good picture of your total trip plan, and that does make a difference to how we advise you.

Posted by
69 posts

Ok. Here is my overall plan. With kids along we are not sure if they would be interested in museums but definitely in natural beauty.

India to London 27th may.-

London 3 to 4 days

Edinburgh including isle of Skye 3 days. Not sure if I should take a train or rental car or go flight to edinbugh but I would need rental car in Edinburgh.

Norway 4 days. Unsure if I should just do sognefjord or go for geirangerfjord too. What else to do there.

Paris 3 days

Switzerland 7 days

Venice 2 days

Seinna and Pisa 2 days

Rome 3 days

Return to India.

Posted by
4037 posts

Time for some hard decisions, to save both you and your kids from exhaustion and blurred memories. Your suggested route seems to gloss over how long moving from place to place takes, and costs. Slow down, get to know a few places, save money. Forget rushing around to Skye, ditch the expensive race to Norway, go to Pisa (if you must) on a day trip from somewhere else, maybe even decide to do either Switzerland or Italy but not both. By shortening your check-list, you will enjoy the places you do go to much more.

Posted by
16183 posts

I agree that is a lot of moving around.

But to answer the question, I see Advance fares on the East Coast Trains website of £24 per adult in second class and £63 in first class. Children could be less depending on age. These fares are available for purchase now and they do sell out.