Please sign in to post.

Train to Bayeux

I will be staying in an apartment near Rue Cler area and want to take the train to visit the Normandy beaches/museums. Which bus or metro from my apartment do I take to get to St. Lazare rail station? Will this be difficult for 2 seniors (62) to do on our own? No luggage - just a day trip. Also need help with return trip too- back to St Lazare and then which RER or metro or bus to Rue Cler area? Thanks so much.

Posted by
2081 posts

Lee, Hi. I stayed near Rue Cler, but i dont remember what train to get to St. Lazare. I dont have my map handy. But i just wanted to let you know that its about a 2 hour train ride to Bayeux and then you will have the same back. Results is that you have chewed up 4 hours. So.....can you spend more time up there? also it will take some addition time to get to the beaches if thats your goal. in my opinion (imo) it would not be giving Normandy justice with about 4 hours at the most. im sure someone will chime in on the logistics of getting from your apartment to St Lazare. happy trails.

Posted by
32329 posts

Lee, Visiting Bayeux and Normandy as a "day trip" is not an ideal method, given the travel times back and forth. Also, when you arrive in Bayeux, how were you planning to get to the beaches and other historic sites? They're spread out over a 50 mile front and extend some distance inland. The travel route that I'd use is to depart from Ecole Militaire Metro station. Take Line 8 (direction Creteil-Pointe du Lac) to Invalides; transfer to Line 13 (direction Saint-Denis-Universite) to Saint-Lazare. Travel time should be about 30 minutes. When you arrive at Saint-Lazare Metro, you'll have to walk upstairs to Gare St. Lazare, where you'll find the "regular" trains to Normandy. I've travelled that same route, and I believe this is the method I used. If you need to buy tickets for that trip, visit one of the many SNCF Boutiques or one of the larger stations (ie: Gare du Nord) in Paris. For the trip back, just reverse the directions. You may want to have a look at a Paris Metro map for clarification. BTW, I'm in the same age range. Happy travels!

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks so much Ken and Nigel,
Info is most appreciated. Will give consideration to staying overnight in Bayeux - sounds like we are going to need it.

Posted by
33556 posts

At the south end of Rue Cler, on Avenue de la Motte Picquet, is a bus stop called Rue Cler. The only bus that calls there is the number 28. Heading northeast from Ecole Militaire and then north to the Pont des Invalides and then northeast, its northern terminus is Gare St-Lazare. It is about 9 or 10 stops on the bus. It goes both ways.

Posted by
32329 posts

Lee, For touring the beaches and D-Day sites, I would highly recommend taking one of the local tours. Some firms offer half day tours, which may fit your situation better if you only have limited time. Many of the tours start in Bayeux, so that's a good choice for a place to stay. You could try the Churchill Hotel, but the group here will be able to offer lots of suggestions for good hotels. There's an excellent Museum in Bayeux and also of course the famous Tapestry with depicts a much earlier battle. It's also a great town to wander about in the evenings and there are some nice restaurants. For D-Day tours, have a look at: www.ddayhistorian.com www.daleboothnormandytours.com www.overlordtour.com I'd advise booking tours WELL in advance. If you have any questions, contact the tour firms by E-mail. They provide transportation and know all the locations, so can get around the area quickly and efficiently. Cheers!