Please sign in to post.

Train tickets in Italy

I am planning on riding the trains with my family of 5 in June from Rome to Florence, Florence to Vernazza and Vernazza to Rome. Would you buy the tickets once I get to Italy or try and book them through Trentalia? I would think Florence to Vernazza on the city trains I would be fine to wait, but the longer routes I am wondering if I should book now? thanks

Posted by
32212 posts

Lindsay, I normally buy tickets a day or two before I'll be travelling, and have yet to find a train that's fully sold out. Waiting to buy tickets once you arrive in Italy allows a bit more flexibility in your schedule, as you're not "locked into" a particular train. What I'd probably do is buy tickets for the outgoing journey when you arrive in each city (since you'll be at the station anyway). Each of the routes you're using have frequent departures, so you should have no problems getting tickets. Be sure to read the info about the new Mini Fares at This Excellent Website, as those will save you some money. Happy travels!

Posted by
16312 posts

I think you'll be better off buying you rtickets from an agent there, as if you have at leaast one child under 12 you are eligible for the "family discount". This is from the Trenitalia website: "Offer for journeys by family groups made up of from 3 to 5 persons of whom at least 1 is an adult and 1 is a child of less than 12; this exciting solution includes the free place booking: 50% (30% for couchettes and Wagon Lit) for children under 12; 20% for the other persons." The offer is good on IC and ES trains, and others, but as far as I can tell not on the Regional trains (La Spezia to Vernazza, but that is cheap anyway!)

Posted by
23276 posts

The only advantage to booking earlier is the discounts that are available but that locks you into a fixed schedule. Train rarely, if ever, fill up. There are 53 trains a day between Florence and Rome. You can easily find five seats at any time.

Posted by
118 posts

Thank you very much for the advice- having used the rails all over Europe with a rail pass with just my husband we just bought the tickets once we got into the city- This time I am helping my friends plan their Europe trip and they are traveling with 3 teenagers and have their room accommodations booked already, so I just want to make sure they actually there when they need to.
I really appreciate the advice it really helps!