Please sign in to post.

Train Tickets in France

I have a bank card with a magnetic strip that can be used in France but does not hace a chip. I want to book train tickets from Paris to Chamonix. From everything that I am reading, I can reserve these tickets online with my bank card and pick them up at any train station when I arrive in France but have to go to a ticket agent to have my card swiped and cannot use the automatic ticket machines. My question is "Is this correct?"

Posted by
6898 posts

Partially. You do have to go to a staffed ticket window as your credit card will not work in the machines. You Once at the window, you show your information and they give you your tickets. You are usually instructed to bring the same credit card you used to purchase the tickets. That primarily was if you could use the machines. That's how you were identified. At the ticket window, you may or may not be asked to see your credit card.

Posted by
2269 posts

I can only speak from our experience last summer but, the credit card is for verification purpose.In our case, the credit card was charged at the time of reservation. however, the couple that was with us lost the card they used for the reservation. Even though the charge had already gone through, they had to by a new ticket (@same price as previous ticket). Their refund for the first ticket arrived 3 months later- almost to the day as promise. So, make sure you bring the credit card you used, even if it's been cancelled.

Posted by
10042 posts

Jane -- yes, that's correct. Without a chipped credit card, you will not be able to use the ticket machines. You will have to go to the line in the station or to an SNCF boutique.