Please sign in to post.

train tickets

I'm traveling next week to Great Britain to visit a friend in Cornwall. Which is cheaper - buy my train ticket from London to Cornwall here in the States or when I am at the train station? thanks!

Posted by
521 posts

I can see Advance singles for the 12.06 to Bodmin Parkway on Tuesday the 18th, for £49.50. A Super Off-peak would be the standard price, £56.50 and could be purchased on the day. On Sunday the 23rd an Advance single on the 12.58 back to Paddington is £54.50, but a Super Off-peak is only £56.50. I can also see an Off-peak return for the whole round trip for £99.50, which looks like being your cheapest option. Often you can save money by getting 2 singles, but not in this case.

Posted by
521 posts

Buying in advance will generally save you some money, but it depends on the route and the train operating company concerned. In this case it's First Great Western, so take a look at their journey planner at www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk. As an example, let's think about travelling from London to Liskeard next Wednesday. There are 'Advance' tickets available on a number of trains at different prices as low as £30.50 (the 13.06 from Paddington, with a change at Plymouth). The 'Advance' fare can be purchased up to 18.00 on the day before travel (although they tend to be cheaper if you buy sooner) but is only valid on the specific train it is booked for and can't be refunded, so if there is any doubt about catching that particular train then it isn't advisable. For more flexibility you would need the 'Super Off-peak' tickets, which in this example are available for 5 trains leaving Paddington between 10.06 and 15.06 and would cost £53.50. That is the standard Super Off-peak rate for that route and would be available on the day, so there is no saving for buying that tariff in advance. Are you returning to London by train?

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for your help! I am hoping to catch the noontime train on Tuesday from Paddington Station to Bodmin Parkway and then returning on a 13:00 o'clock train back to London on the following Sunday. The train I am not certain about is the return. Could be sunday or could be monday. They both come up as super off peak. Are you saying if its super off peak anyway, there is no savings for buying in advance?
Thanks so much!

Posted by
3 posts

Do you know what would happen if I purchased a RT for returning to London on Sunday but decided to come back on Monday instead?
Maybe it's not with the chances.

Posted by
521 posts

A return would be valid on the Monday for Super Off-peak trains. In fact, it would be valid on all Super Off-peak trains on any day in the next month. Looking at the FGW journey planner, that £99.50 Super Off-peak tariff would be valid on the 10.06, 12.06, 14.06 and 15.06 services to Bodmin on the Tuesday and the 08.06 and all later trains back to London on the following Monday.