Please sign in to post.

Train tickets - do you buy 120 days out for the best pricing?? !!!

A friend purchased his train tickets on capitainetrain.com and italiarail.com for train travel in June!

We have never purchased our tickets earlier than 120 days out to get any fare specials.

Am I getting a better price on Trenitalia 120 days out versus his EARLY purchase on these two websites ??

I have never used these sites before !

Posted by
16893 posts

Purchasing 2 - 3 months ahead is more common than 4 months, although the railways sometimes release dates for sale in blocks that don't strictly match those time windows. Italian train tickets are not very expensive to begin with, so don't feel pressured to reserve until you are committed to particular dates and times. For instance, second class ticket prices from Rome to Florence range from €19-43 per person. €19 fares are currently available for some departures in March on Trenitalia. There are limited seats at the lower prices, as well as exchange and refund restrictions. When €19 is sold out, you'll pay either €29 or €43. You can also buy tickets in the train stations with no deadline.

Posted by
23242 posts

The same question is running under General Europe.

Posted by
1166 posts

I know ! I am learning my way through the new Travel Forum !

Posted by
922 posts

I usually do buy 120 days in advance because I normally have my schedule planned and know an acceptable time for us to travel. The downside is that if we change our minds, we have to buy new tickets.

Posted by
12 posts

It depend of the country, but usually a month before you can get great deals. In the UK they run several specials on National rail
for Italy GoEuro is the only site where you can compare TrenItalia and Italo. Last for Germany the DB website offer discounts if you book over 3 months ahead. GoEuro also has buses.

Posted by
513 posts

Hello Carla -

I always try to buy my tickets in advance and online. I often travel in Spain and am able to get substantial discounts 60 to 90 days out. Once in the UK I bought a ticket from Ely to York at the station, the day before I traveled and saved about 30%.

Jack