Please sign in to post.

Train tickets-

I need help, looking at ticket passes, which would I need. We are flying into Munich (visiting sites) and then taking a night train to Rome and we would like to buy a pass for Italy, maybe a 3 days or should we buy point to point tickets. We would like to go to Venice, and Sicily, and maybe one more city.
Which is the best rail pass, if we buy a Italy pass would we be considered pass holders and so the night train from Munich to Rome would it be the cheaper cost?

Posted by
1035 posts

The conventional wisdom is that there is no financial advantage to buying a rail pass for Italy. Best bet is p2p. Trenitalia has special "Mini" fares for some routes. Your geographic spread of places to go is pretty large, especially throwing Sicily in with Rome and Venice. Maybe fly to Sicily? Same for Munich to Rome.

Posted by
19240 posts

The best place to get either p2p tickets or pass holder reservations for the Munich to Italy train is on the German Rail website. The train from Munich to Italy goes though Austria. You'll need it as a country on your pass or p2p ticket across it. Note: from RailEurope's website for this train, "A passholder ticket can be purchased in place of the adult ticket and is valid on the City Night Line train provided the pass covers the Entire journey." (my emphasis). Also, from the Bahn, "you need a valid ticket for the entire journey route." If you get a pass holder reservation, the fare would be cheaper, but you would use a day of your rail pass. Count that cost too. If you book well in advance, you can get discounted saver fares that are competitive with using a rail pass. Depending on where you are going in Munich, use either Tageskarten (a Partner Tageskarte for 2-5 people in the inner zone costs €9,80 per day) or a Bayern-Ticket (€29 for 2-5 people on regional trains) for the rest of Bavaria.