Please sign in to post.

Train tickets

We are taking a river cruise the first week of Sept. It ends in Amsterdam. We are spending 3 nights in Amsterdam, then going to Bruges, and then Paris both by train. Could I wait and purchase the train tickets while we are in Amsterdam, or should I purchase them before we leave? If I need to purchase them while here, are Trainline and Loco2 good sites to buy the tickets?

Posted by
134 posts

Hi,

You should book ahead. Especially the Belgium -> Paris route can be very expensive if bought last minute.

It's usually best to cut out the middle man and buy directly from the operator. It gives the train company more options of helping you, in case something doesn't go as expected.
For your trip I would use these sites:

Netherlands - Belgium: Buy your ticket on www.nsinternational.nl/en

Belgium - Paris: Buy your ticket on www.thalys.com or www.b-europe.com

Note that there's also a low-cost train from Brussels to Paris. Tickets can be bought on www.izy.com.

Posted by
16893 posts

Both routes can be cheaper when booked in advance, if you're willing to commit to dates and times. If you buy the leg to Bruges on shorter notice, you can usually save money by avoiding the Thalys brand. The leg toward Paris is the more expensive one, and nearly monopolized by Thalys trains, so more savings when booking ahead. Either of those sites is fine.

Posted by
2487 posts

For Amsterdam to Bruges you have the choice between the high-speed Thalys service and the Intercity Brussels service, which takes half an hour longer.
The Intercity service has the advantage of your tickets being valid for all trains running that day, while the Thalys comes with a compulsory reservation. Tickets for the Intercity are between EUR 29 and EUR 39, depending on the day of the week, and, having a fixed price, don't have to be bought in advance.

Posted by
9567 posts

The cheapest Thalys tickets will already be gone; buy as soon as you know your plans before they go up even more.

(Amsterdam-Paris)

Posted by
6893 posts

Bruges to Paris can also be done via Kortijk and Lille.
- Belgian railways Bruges to Lille FLANDRES
- French TGV Lille FLANDRES to Paris (buy on Oui SNCF or Loco2)

Typically cheaper than via Brussels, and gives you a chance for a quick lunch in Lille if you leave sufficient time for the connection and don't have too much luggage.

Posted by
7837 posts

You don't have to buy in advance to save if you avoid Thalys and use their low cost brand IZy from Brussels to Paris

Posted by
1 posts

Hey Ashley

That will be a brilliant idea to purchase train tickets before. If you have planned about trip properly.