Please sign in to post.

Train schedules

I'm a little puzzled about train schedules. I'm looking at trains from Paris to Barcelona. We don't want the overnight train. We prefer to watch the world go by during the day. At raileurope.com, I find about 4 trains scheduled, including an early morning one. But at eurail's website, I found only 2, not including the early morning one. And at deutschebahn, I thik there were 3. Am I doing something wrong? Or do different sites list different trains?

Posted by
23319 posts

REurope is a travel agency that sells rail tickets to N Americans. They only list the trains they sell tickets for. The best site to use for scheduling is bahn.de. Eurail is similar but I am not familiar with their schedules. Also, scheduling more than 90 days out is iffy because not all schedules are loaded. If you want a representation of what is available, then check for the middle of next month.

Posted by
8700 posts

The only thing you're doing wrong is using Eurail and Rail Europe for timetables. They only show trains for which they sell ticketsand at inflated prices. For complete timetables use either Deutsche Bahn or the Swiss Rail site.

Posted by
6 posts

Hey Frank,
Thanks. Even before i asked the question, I did punch in dates only a month out, altho we're actually traveling in May. I guess I'm puzzled. If raileurope only has the trains they sell tickets for, why do they list more trains than the other sites, including dbahn? Oh well, I'll just keep diging through the websites.

Posted by
8700 posts

I just checked the DB site. It shows Paris Lyon-Figueras Vilafant-Barcelona Sants, departing at 07:20 and arriving at 14:46.

Posted by
19109 posts

" If raileurope only has the trains they sell tickets for, why do they list more trains than the other sites, including dbahn?" They don't. For March 24, RailEurope shows connections with one change at 7:20 and 15:20, plus two night trains. The Bahn shows those two day trains plus three other day trains with more than 1 change, plus the two night trains. So, including the two night trains, "DBahn" shows 7 trains vs 4 for RailEurope. What date did you use? Are you sure you used the whole 24 hrs with DB? Eurail doesn't sell any point-point tickets. I think for schedules they redirect you to Austrian Rail. It shows 4 day trains, 6 total.