Please sign in to post.

train reservations online

Is there a preferred site for making train reservations online? I need to reserve a seat on a Munich-Rome train. The Dbahn site offers reservations online, as does Rail Europe (little bit more). Any thoughts?

Posted by
23568 posts

Print you own tickets. Remember dbahn requires you to have the credit card that was used to purchase the tickets on you as part of the verification process.

Posted by
19240 posts

I can't speak for most travelers, but I would prefer the "print your tickets at home option". That's what I did with a pair of Sparpreis tickets in 2008. That way you get the pdf file in a few hours, and you can save the file and print the reservations. You can even print an extra copy to keep in a safe place, or take a copy of the pdf file with you and print it out over there if necessary. If you're registered with the Bahn, there will always be a copy available on their website for you to retrieve. The print at home option is free. From the Bahn, the mail option costs €3,50 (about $5). From RailEurope you can only have the reservations mailed for a "shipping" charge of $18.

Posted by
19240 posts

"The Dbahn site offers reservations online". That is the preferred site. They are the ones the reservations come from. You won't get them for less, anywhere. I assume you are talking about: 1. The overnight train CNL 485, 2. Reservations for overnight accommodations with a rail pass.

Posted by
40 posts

Yes, it is the CNL 485. What do most travelers prefer, the 'Print out your online ticket' option that Dbahn offers, or the 'Tickets per mail' option?

Posted by
19240 posts

Oh, Frank. I didn't realize Yamaplos had hijacked the thread. I thought it was still the original poster for Munich (which last I checked was in Germany) to Rome. Yamaplos, he's right. Although German Rail shows schedules all over Europe, they only sell tickets online for trips beginning and/or ending in Germany. (A trip starting and ending in German, but going through a country other than German will likewise not qualify). For what route do you want tickets?

Posted by
7 posts

Guys, I feel so dumb. I cannot find how or where you make such a reservation in the DBahn site. Could y'all give more details, please? Need to figure that out for our trip in August - Rick says you want a reservation in August...

Posted by
19240 posts

For that train, you must have a reservation, and probably need to make it at least a month in advance. You might already be too late. You indicated you were interested in the night train, CNL 485. Do you really want just a seat. Those might still be available. Go to the German Rail website (in English) and put in Munich for from: and Rome for to:. Put in the date and 1900 (most night trains leave after 7 PM; this one leaves at 21:02). You'll get three connections including one showing CNL and 0 chgs. Click "Check availability". You'll get two columns of prices for complete tickets, not just accommodations. If you have a railpass, click "Book only extra charge" (bottom of page). On the next page pick "pass offer" and "continue". That will take you to a page with the supplemental fees. Click the kind of accommodations you want and "Book". Can you take it from there?

Posted by
16087 posts

Yamaplos....what route are you taking? If it's not at least partially in Germany, you can't make the reservation on DB.