Please sign in to post.

Train Reservations DB Bahn

I am trying to make a reservation for an overnight train from Paris to Hamburg. DB Bahn has some good rates but I'm not sure what it means "reservation obligation". I'm wondering if there is an additional reservation fee on top of the fee for the sleeper car. Please help. I'd love to get a decent rate on the train if possible.

Posted by
19092 posts

That means you can't get a ticket without also reserving the accommodation (couchette, sleeper). No additional fee beyond the cost reserving your bed.

Posted by
6 posts

I don't have a rail pass so I am making the full fare reservation. There is a special rate that looks great but then it says "reservation obligation" I'm not sure if I have to pay for reserving the car. Which means the ticket is 249 euro and the reservation is 130 euro, for two in deluxe cabin. Seems like a lot to me. Maybe I only have the pay the 249. Still confused.

Posted by
19092 posts

For what date are you looking? I checked the Bahn website for a date way out, almost 3 months, and I found a deluxe sleeper for two with a Europa-Spezial-Freankreich fare of 268€ (for both). That includes the rail part (ticket) and the accommodation supplement (reservation). If you click on "book only extra charge" and pick "normally price tickets", it shows a price of 130€. That would be the price of the accommodations only for someone who had already purchased a rail ticket without accommodation fee for that train. That doesn't apply to you. Although I found a 268€ fare for my date, the Spezial fare might start at 248€. Europa-Spezial tickets are "tiered" and the price goes up as the cheaper ones sell out. I also checked a closer date and found a Europa-Spezial fare of 308€, higher yet because the cheaper ticket had been sold.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you for that information. I didn't understand how they book the tickets. Looks like my rate of 249 euro is a deal.