Please sign in to post.

Train Reservations

A group of four will be traveling from Venice to Florence (via Milan). I know that we will need train reservations, but here's my question: If we were to get off the train when it stops in Milan and resume our trip to Florence a few hours later, would we have to make another reservation (pay another reservation fee)? Thanks in advance for any advice you may offer! Brett

Posted by
23568 posts

Yes, of course, because you would not have reservation on the next train. The exception would be a regional train that does not require a reservation. You would be buying two tickets.

Posted by
33545 posts

Whoaaa You don't go through Milan to get to Florence from Venice, not unless you want to then backtrack as far as Bologna. What you are basically doing is a round trip to Milan, then turning right at Bologna just before you get back whereas you could have just turned left at Padova. You have changed a 2 hour journey to a longer than 5 hour journey. If that's your plan - fine - enjoy. Just realize that you will be paying with time and reservation charges even if you don't have to pay separately for the train journeys using your passes. If you are doing that so you can see the Last Supper be sure you have reservations.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you all for the advice. Not sure why I thought the train went through Milan, but I don't think seeing the Duomo in Milan is going to be worth the time and expense of making additional reservations. Thanks again!

Posted by
4412 posts

Brett, since this is the second question I've seen from you about train reservations, I want to be sure you're using Trenitalia for your Global Pass reservation € amounts: http://www.trenitalia.com/trenitalia.html Click on the English flag at the top center of the page. When you get to the page with the trains listed, click on one of them and choose "Continue". Then on the next page, look for the drop-down menu on the left side of the page that says 'More Fares" and choose "Global Pass". Give it a few seconds - it's kinda slow sometimes - and look a couple of boxes over to the right for the passholder reservation fee. Also, when you're looking at the train listing page, choose one by clicking the button on the far right and click "Details by S e l e c t i o n". Then, click on the "Info" button at the far right of that and scroll down the page to see all of the stops along the way. NOT that you can hop on and off the train if it's one that requires a reservation...but you'll see the route it takes, and if you want you now know where to break your trip up into two or even three parts, if you want. Note that not every single train takes the exact same route...