Please sign in to post.

Train Reservations

Hi! I am travelling to Europe during July-August. This is my first time and I'll be using Eurail pass to travel around. I want to know how do I do the train reservations? I found out that I can do it through raileurope.com but they charge a very expensive fee! Is it necessary to make reservations so much in advance?? I am particularly concerned about a train I'm taking from Milano to Paris, that uses TGV... but I'll probably have to make other reservations too... Please, help me! Thank you all!

Posted by
32213 posts

Natalia, The last time I used a Railpass I just made reservations at the station a few days before I'd be travelling. It will be far less expensive to book them in Europe than using Rail Europe. I've never tried to buy reservations separately at the ticket Kiosks, so not sure if that's possible? You may have to visit the staffed ticket office at Milano Centrale. It's located two floors down via "moving sidewalks", which you access via the main entry hall and not the area where the tracks are located. There's usually a bit of a queue, so it may take some time. You may find it helpful to have a look at This Excellent Website as it has lots of great information on all aspects of travel in Italy (including photos). You may want to explore other parts of the website as well. As you're probably aware, the reservations will specify a Car no. (Carozza) and a Seat no. (Posti) - I've used the Italian words, but the wording will vary according to country. Be sure to also check the number of the train you're boarding to ensure that you're on the right train. If you need to make any reservations while you're in Paris, visit one of the SNCF Boutiques which are located in various parts of the city. Check This Website for locations. Cheers!

Posted by
23290 posts

Ken is correct. Trains rarely if ever sell out. Make you reservation at day or two before.

Posted by
4407 posts

If you use staffed ticket counters, BE PREPARED for some potentially very long lines...:-(

Posted by
8700 posts

If you have a railpass, you CAN buy seat reservations from ticket machines in Italian stations.

Posted by
120 posts

Thank you all! Let's see if I understood... I can make reservations directly in the train station, and a couple of days before the trip would be ok? My problem is that I'm spending just a day in Milano, I'll be getting there from Cinque Terre, stay just one day and leave the next morning for Paris... So, would it be ok if I just make my seat reservation for the train Milano-Paris the day before in Milano Central Station? Another question, reservations can be made only in the station I'm leaving from? Hope you can help me again!
Thanks!!!

Posted by
8700 posts

You should be able to buy your seat reservation from any Trenitalia station in Italy that is staffed and/or has ticket machines. I presume that you will be spending a few days in Italy before you go to the Cinque Terre. Buy your reservation when you first arrive. That way it will be less likely that all seats allotted to passholders will be gone.