Please sign in to post.

train reservations

I have a Eurail pass and the two reservations that are required. My question: is there any value in having reservations on trains where it's not required or suggested?
Thanx.

Posted by
389 posts

I think it really depends on a couple of things.

When are you traveling? Late July and all of August are very busy on the trains and I have found crowded conditions and occassionally have even ended up in jump seats with the luggage in second class on my 1st class Eurail pass.

How many are traveling. Even when it isn't busy we have had a tough time finding 3 seats together. If you don't mind splitting up and making new friends, no problem, but if you don't want a child or insecure person on his or her own, you might want to reserve seats together.

Posted by
705 posts

I agree with Linda. Also if you are travelling to popular destinations you may not be able to get the train you want. If your time is tight then reserve, if you are not too worried about it then don't bother. I must admit I always reserve a seat and then I know I'm going to be OK.

Posted by
421 posts

if it is a very popular route and you really would prefer to leave at a certain time or arrive at a certain time or in some cases ensure that you are on a train with a direct route without having a connection....then reservations will give you peace of mind

Posted by
1568 posts

Seat reservations are not that expensive. During our 8 week trip in Western Europe...we made many reservations that were not required...none were actually needed except for one. Better safe than sorry.

Posted by
8 posts

I am curious where the best place to make seat reservations is (I already have my rail passes). I can't seem to find a good web site for making reservations and I don't want to wait until I am over there this summer.