Please sign in to post.

Train reservations

We are headed to Italy 4/12/13. We have bought the Italy Eurail passes to use as we are traveling by train for 3 weeks and eill travel first class when available. Should I reserve trains before we leave the US for this time of the year or do you think I would be safe to jsut reserve when we get there? If we reserve now, it looks like they mail you a paper ticket? If so would I get them on time? Also, if you don't make that train could you catch the next one?

Posted by
23572 posts

First, a rail pass in Italy is rarely cost effective but since you have you will have to pay for seat reservation. The fee depends on the train. All trains except Regional trains require a reservation. The fine for not having a reservation is immediate and huge. Since trains rarely, and probably never in first class, sell out, you can wait till you are in Italy to purchase the seat reservation. If you miss the train, you will need to purchase a new reservation. Don't even think about getting on a train without a reservation.

Posted by
11294 posts

If you have already bought a first class Italy railpass, it doesn't make sense to pre-book reservations from the US. Just get them in Italy, as soon as you are SURE which train you are taking. As Frank said, the reservation is for a specific train and is not useable on other trains. And if you board a train requiring reservations and don't have one, you will get fined on the spot. For regional trains, no reservations are possible. Just get on and show your pass when the conductor comes around.

Posted by
11613 posts

If you have a reserved seat ticket and miss a connection because the previous train arrived late, you need to go to the ticket window or customer care window to get it straightened out, you can't just hop on the next train. If you miss the train, but there is no rail connection involved. and you have a reserved seat, you will need to buy another reservation.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for the advice. I went to a site that was helpful as well called seat61.com that answered some of my questions. After looking at this and with your comments, I will just wait till I get to Italy to get our reservations since we are traveling during the peak season. Not sure if buying the Eurail pass was the cheapest way to go or not, but it has been nice since we have had some last minute changes in our schedule. Since Rick Steves headquarters is in the area where we live, I did go talk to them twice and they told me it was about a toss up using the pass or buying the individual tickets.

Posted by
3 posts

I meant to say, since we are not traveling during the peak season.