Please sign in to post.

Train Reservations

I was wondering if it is significantly cheaper to book when I get there? I only need like 3 reservations (2 night trains) and don't want to spend $50 on shipping. I need to know if I can book at any train station (IE London for a night train from Paris to Frankfurt) or do I need to go to that train?

Thanks
Dan

Posted by
8700 posts

Yes, it's cheaper to make reservations in Europe. However, popular night trains often sell out so it's best to make those reservations well in advance. I assume you have a eurail pass. Since that pass is not good in the UK, I don't know if you can make your Paris-Frankfurt reservation in London. I suggest you call the experts at Budget Europe Travel Service for free and friendly advice: 800-441-9413 or 800-441-2387.

Posted by
8700 posts

One more thing. You could call the SNCF English-speaking number and make your Paris-Frankfurt reservation over the phone. You could probably make all your other reservations at the same time. Dial 011 (US international access code) +33 (country code for France) + (0)8 92 35 35 37. Omit the inital zero which is only used for calls originating in France.

Posted by
12 posts

If I call, will they mail the tickets, or do I just pick them up at the station when I get there? I know places like eureaide ship them, if it was coming from France it might take a while... Is there maybe a pick-up option?

Dan

Posted by
8700 posts

There may be a pick up option, but I don't know for sure. Ask the people at BETS.

Posted by
19052 posts

SNCF will NOT mail tickets to the U.S. They are the major owners of Rail Europe, and they want you to get your tickets from RE (at an inflated price). However, you can arrange to pick up tickets in France at any station, from a ticket counter or automat.

Posted by
19052 posts

According to DB, D361, the night train from Paris to Frankfurt has only seats and couchettes for 6 people. You can get reservations for those accommodations from the DB night train site, http://buchung.nachtzugreise.de. Using that site, you can purchase your tickets online with a CC and self print them at home.

Also, according to DB, that train will be discontinued after Jun 8. After that time, the only night train option would be to take the night train from Paris to Munich as far as Karlsruhe, get of at 4:56, and continue to Frankfurt an hour later via ICE.

Posted by
8700 posts

I'm glad that Lee mentioned the German Rail night train booking site. Besides booking regular tickets on that site and printing them yourself, you can book reservations only and print them. From the drop down menu choose "Accommodation surcharge only, ticket exits." The price for a bunk in a six-person couchette for Paris-Frankfurt is 15 EUR.

You can book reservations only for Paris-Karlsruhe on the same siteand you'll have a full range of accommodation choices.

BTW, under some circumstances SNCF WILL mail tickets to the US. I've read reports from people who regularly book tickets over the phone and have them sent to the US.

Posted by
12 posts

Thought I would aid, eurail wanted $35 each sleeper plus $35 for shipping and a $10 fee. So thank you for the site infomation, $45 for both is great.

Dan