Please sign in to post.

Train reservation

I have France and Switzerland saver pass for me and my wife.
I am trying to make reservations for travel between Paris and Basel Enroute to Interlaken.

My first question is regarding the saver pass itself.
Is the saver pass automatically mean first class?

Second I am trying to reserve seats in the Lyria series train between Paris and Basel in raileurope.com. I believe there is no reservation required on train between Basel and Interlaken.
Do I reserve in second class ? or first class?
and when I do select first class
I get 4 options for the train that I am interested in

Lyria 9217 2:24PM
Paris Est,France
3 Nov 5:56PM
Basel Sbb,
Switzerland
3 Nov 3hr 32min 0

* Reservation Required

This train requires the passholder to purchase a seat reservation.
$202.00 2nd Class Seat
Details about this accommodation
Fare Rules

$30.00 1st Class Seat
Fare Rules

$130.00 1st Class Seat
Fare Rules

$290.00 1st Class Seat
Fare Rules

which option do I select any ideas?
any help would be really appreciated.

Posted by
1568 posts

Yes....Rail Pass is automatically a 1st class ticket.............No need to get a Seat Reservation through Rail Europe......Get the seat reservation upon your arrival in Paris for your trip from Paris to Basel.......never heard of a seat reservation costing $202 with a Rail Pass........Other may clarify this for you.

Posted by
19092 posts

Not all rail passes are 1st class. A "Eurail" pass (Global, 3 country select, etc) will be first class. A French rail pass, or some two country including France might be 1st/2nd class. What you apparently have here is a train for which all passholder reservations are sold out, and they are offering only full fare tickets at their markup over European counter prices. For an earlier Lyria train (9215 at 10:24) I see passholder reservaions available at $37 2nd class, $65 1st class for a 100% for refundable passholder reservations, $11 for a non-refundable reservation (1st or 2nd class).

Posted by
3580 posts

A saver pass may be either first or second class. Which do you have? That will be stated on the front of the pass. Make reservations accordingly...... If you have a first class pass, I believe you are allowed to make reservations for either first or second class travel. In situations where reservations are required, a second class pass restricts you to second class cars.....A first class pass allows you to travel in either first or second class cars......For some regional trains, there is no first class available.

Posted by
19092 posts

After looking at the RailEurope listings, the Passholder reservations are only sold out for holders of a 2nd cl. pass including only France. What you saw were the rates for reservations for various passes (Eurail selekt, France-Switzerland, etc) and refundable vs non-refundable. Click on the link "Fare rules" for each price. For instance, with a 1st cl. Eurail pass including France and Switzerland, you can get non-refundable 1st cl. reservations for $30 ($15 per person).

Posted by
8700 posts

While some Saver passes can be either 1st or 2nd class, the France-Switzerland Saver pass is only 1st class so I assume that is what you have. Do what Lee suggests and buy two 1st class seat reservations. No reservations are possible on the Basel-Interlaken train.

Posted by
14 posts

Hi Thank you all for replies,
once i clicked the fare rules, it made sense, I need to use the $30 ones.

I had another question, the reservation seems to be soooooooo expensive when compared to the actual price when in Europe. Is it a wise idea to just book at the train station itself, i am travelling nov 1st week.

and what about printing reservations at kiosk? is that something that can be done easily?

Is there any cheaper way to reserve TGV trains with passes

Posted by
8700 posts

If you will be in Paris a few days before you go to Switzerland and your Paris-Basel TGV ride is on a weekday, then you'll probably be safe waiting until you get to Paris to buy your seat reservations. Buying them at a station is your cheapest option and you'll have to do it at a ticket window. The ticket machines in French stations only accept credit cards with embedded chips.