Please sign in to post.

train question

I am fling into frankfurt Germany int airport monday 12/23/12 at 1 pm this train leaves at 3:09 pm does this train leave from the airport or somewhere else? I have no idea where or how to get on the train to get to amsterdam. I have not booked it yet as I want to be sure I have enough time to get there. thank you beth Trip 1 From: To: Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Netherlands $218 Edit Inter City Express 518 3:09PM Frankfurt Flug FE, Germany 24 Dec 4:44PM Duisburg HBF, Germany 24 Dec Travel Time 1 hr 35 mins Class Cabin Comfort First Class Seat Exchange/Refund General Ticket Ticket is valid for the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Britain, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Ireland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia and Switzerland Ticket does not include a reservation. Reservations when possible are separate and an additional cost. Exchange/Refund Policy
A 15% cancellation penalty applies to unused tickets received by the issuing office prior to the first day of validity. Tickets are refundable after the first day of validity if they have been endorsed as 'not used' by a railway official at the station of departure. For more information please refer to the conditions of use printed on ticket jacket. Refund requests must be submitted within 2 months from the first day of validity on the ticket. Refunds and Exchanges are subject to a 7% administrative fee per ticket.

Posted by
12040 posts

Yes, it leaves from the airport- Flug FE stands for "Flughafen Fernbahnhoff", which means roughly "Airport long distance train station". Two hours should be enough time if your plane lands on schedule. Once you pass through immigration and retrieve your luggage, follow the signs to the train station. It's too difficult to describe the exact route, as it goes up and down several sets of stairs, but easy if you just follow the signs. There's actually a separate train station for commuter trains, but they're hard to confuse. BTW, it sounds like you're trying to buy a train ticket from RailEurope, or some similar site. Don't. Use the Deutsche Bahn website. Finally, you probably don't need a first class ticket. First class is more intended for business travelers who need to work en-route.

Posted by
19092 posts

Several problems. That's not the fastest schedule nor the best fare deal. If you go to the Bahn website, you can book the second ICE, the one that gets to Amsterdam at 6:26 PM, all the way through from the Frankfurt airport Fernbahnhof. That train leaves the airport at 4:43 PM giving you more time to get to the train and has no connection. The fully refundable, 2nd class fare from the Bahn is 113€, $144, just slightly more than the partially refundable fare from RailEurope (not counting shipping). Further, with that much time before departure, you could get a Europa-Spezial fare, currently 59€. And, if you book it from the Bahn, you can get a seat reservation for 4€. Here is some information on getting to the Fernbahnhof.