Please sign in to post.

train question

sorry if this is obvious...but not to me :)

when a train sells out, does another train for the same timeslot because available? thanks.

Posted by
11150 posts

With the vacuum of specifics provided, the most likely answer is 'no'.

Posted by
4151 posts

Without knowing where you're going or the kind of train you're talking about, it's hard to answer. I've never been on a train that sold out. I have been on local or regional trains in a variety of countries where it was SRO.

The Man in Seat 61 should be helpful for you.

Posted by
20002 posts

In general, no. Rail companies do not have the luxury of having trainsets sitting around on the off chance that a train will sell out. Track scheduling time is another factor.

Posted by
8889 posts

No, for a number of reasons.

First local trains do not sell out. There are no reserved seats. Tickets are often valid on any train. Locals often have passes and other tickets which are not specific to a train or route. If I buy a ticket from "A" to "B". That could include a bus, followed by a train, followed by a bus. Depending when the bus arrives at the station, I could get one train, or another 5 minutes later.
There is no way no know in advance how many people are going to get on a train. Except from past experience by the company.

Trains are different sizes. Smaller ones are 1-2 coaches, with seating for 50 people. Bigger Intercity trains may seat 900-1500.
Trains are sized for the expected number of passengers, based on previous traffic patterns.
See photo here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/00/IC2000_Z%C3%BCrich_-_Luzern.jpg
This is a Swiss train, running between Zürich and Luzern. It has 950 seats, and runs ever 30 minutes. That is 1900 seats per hour, a lot of capacity. And if those run out (in the rush hour), people can stand.

Some High Speed and Intercity trains have reserved seats. You cannot get on the train without a ticket for that train, with your seat number on it. In this case they have variable pricing, tickets start off cheap, and go up in price. The companies want to maximise income. There are always some people who have to travel at short notice, at any price (travelling for work, employer pays). If a train is selling too fast, the prices go up (just like air fares), so high that there are usually a few available for those prepared to pay silly prices just before departure.

You cannot add a train at the same time. Two trains cannot be on the same piece of track at the same time. What can happen, if extra passengers are expected on a certain time (holidays etc.) Is add extra coaches to a train, or add an extra train 5 or 10 minutes later. This must be planned days in advance based on expected loading. The coaches (or train) must be in the correct place, and a crew available. Not something you do at the last minute.

Posted by
23235 posts

First, intercity trains are often huge taking several hundred passengers. It is rare for any train to completely sell out. It may happen on holiday weekends or other very special weekends but it is unusual. Second, trains are frequent and very frequent between major cities so if the 8am train is sold out, the 8.20 or 8.40 is probably available. So to directly answer your question it is NO. Because another train will be along within the next hour or so. AND if seat reservations are not required on a specific train, then the train never sells out. But you may have to stand until a seat becomes available.

While most Am tourists have been trained by our airlines as to reservations and filled planes, none of that applies to the European train system.

Posted by
19091 posts

For the most part, European train travel, particularly on regional trains, is more like catching the city bus than it is like taking an airplane.

As far as I can remember, in almost twenty years I have been on a train that was SRO four times. Two of those times were on major holidays, Dec. 26, the second day of Christmas, and on Pentecost, a three day weekend in May. The Pentecost train was a regional one (no reservations required or available), a side aisle train, and people were standing all over in the aisles with large suitcases.

The other time was an ICE from FRA Fernbhf to Karlsruhe. Every seat was occupied, but only half were reserved. After half an hour, we got to Mannheim. People got up to get off before the train stopped and we took their seats before new people got on. A couple of years later, I took the same train in March. I asked the ticket agent if I should get a reservation. He coyly responded that I could if I wanted. I passed; there were only four people in my coach.

The other two times were on commuter trains coming out of a major city at rush hour.

But the point is, for regional trains, they let people on until there is no standing room, and if there is no room, there will be another one soon, probably in an hour, maybe sooner. Your chances are better if you get to the station a little early, particularly if the train originates there. For long distance trains, if you are worried, reserve a seat (in Germany, 4,50€ a seat) as soon as you can. Then you will be assured of getting on that train.

Posted by
13 posts

thanks everyone. i thought the most likely answer was no.

as for specifics, i am trying to book a train from rome to either nice or cannes (or nearby city). last sunday, i went in to book the 9:30am train to cannes and after i put in my credit card, it said it was no longer available. that night, i went in to book the 9:30am train to nice ville and same thing happened...put in my cc...said it was no longer available. i know there are other times but that time worked for us in terms of convenience as we have 3 young children (party of 5). so i was wondering if another train at the same timeslot would be offered...

Posted by
4132 posts

I was on at TGV 2 years ago following the cancellation of a previous TGV train on the same run (Lyon-deGaulle).

There were people seated or standing in stairwells and other nooks and crannies. I assume they were all ticket holders from the cancelled train, since the general policy is reservations only for TGVs.

Posted by
13 posts

what do you think of this? the 7 minute interchange? is that risky?

09:57 12 May
20:25 12 May
10hr 28m
2 changes
from
€226.80

Short interchange: Only choose if you're confident you'll have time to change at Genova Piazza Principe.
Different departure date: This train departs on 12 May but you searched for 11 May.

€103.00 Standard, Semi-Flexible Upgrade from €33.00

1 InterCity #1510
09:57
Rome Termini
Sat 12 May
15:36
Genova Piazza Principe
7 minutes interchange
€48.80 Standard, Semi-Flexible

2 Regionale #11352
Regionale
15:43
Genova Piazza Principe
18:03
Ventimiglia
1 hour, 11 minutes interchange
€75.00 Standard, Fully-Flexible Upgrade from €50.00

3 Thello #160
Thello
19:14
Ventimiglia
20:25
Cannes

Posted by
27047 posts

I haven't been to Genova recently, but it's a large city with (I assume) a large train station. I would definitely not want to attempt a 7-minute transfer with three children. I wouldn't want to try that by myself with a suitcase.

You need a way to force a stopover of some specified length (maybe 20 minutes?) in Genova. I can't figure out how to do that on either Trenitalia or trainline.eu . Surely someone else on the forum knows how to do it.

In the meantime, you can try breaking the itinerary up into two chunks, Roma-Genova and Genova-Nice. Perhaps the total cost will not be any higher, and that way you can select an earlier departure from Rome.

I think there are some less-expensive options that don't involve the Thello, but they would probably significantly lengthen what is already a nightmarishly long trip.

Posted by
8889 posts

Genova Piazza Principe is a relatively compact station for a city of that size. Just a few parallel platforms.
See photo here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c6/Genova_Piazza_Principe.jpg
The platforms are linked by an underpass, you go down stairs. But you may be lucky and your trains could be on opposite sides of the same platform.

I would think 7 minutes is OK to change here. As the trains are connecting, ther will be a number of people going between the same two trains.

It does have an impressive entrance and staircase, but you won't get to see that.

Posted by
27047 posts

Chris, this is a couple with three "young" children. Do you still think it's OK?

Posted by
13 posts

Well...the kids are 11, 9, and 7. I am not worried about them so much that I'm afraid the first train will arrive late and we miss the connecting train. This is my first time in Europe and with the trains...are they known to be on time, early, late?

Thanks.

Posted by
8889 posts

Sorry, I didn't notice that. 3 young children and only 2 adults, 7 minutes may be tight. If you are carrying bags you don't have any limbs free to herd children.
I would get an earlier train from Rome.

I ran the query for 12th May (the date you had) on the DB website, and it came up with a quicker route:
A) Going via Milan (which is on a faster route from Rome, gives an extra change at Milan but you now have more time at Genova.
B) Same train from Genova, but it offers an earlier train for the last leg from Ventimiglia

Roma Termini dep 10:00, FR 9618, Milano Centrale arr 12:55
Transfer time 15 min.
Milano Centrale dep 13:10, FB 8669, Genova Piazza Principe arr 14:37
Transfer time 1:06 h
Genova Piazza Principe dep 15:43, R 11352, Ventimiglia arr 18:03
Transfer time 26 min.
Ventimiglia dep 18:29 TER86074, Cannes arr 20:07

The following option is even quicker, only 8h55 (above is 10h07). And only one change:

Roma Termini dep 11:30, FR 9624, Milano Centrale arr 14:29
Transfer time 41 min.
Milano Centrale dep 15:10, EC 159, Cannes arr 20:25

The above train seems perfect.