Please sign in to post.

Train Passes

Am researching overnight train travel from Paris to Milano Centrale and ask if it is necessary to have a special pass, there are so many (EuroStar, Saver, Eurail, etc .)We need an overnight train from Paris, second class, to Milan and definitely want the couchette

Posted by
6898 posts

It is not necessary to have a railpass. But, for a night train, you really should purchase the ticket as soon as the tickets become available (usually 90 days out) as the night trains do fill up. You can do this on RailEurope without having to purchase a pass. It's more expensive. Or, you can purchase tickets on the French train site. If you purchase early, you can often take advantage of some great special fares. Below is a comment from Tim from Minot, N.D. on how to do this.

Sign on to www.tgv-europe.com. To keep the site in English and to avoid being bumped to the Rail Europe site, choose Great Britain as both your country of residence and the country in which you will retrieve your tickets. You will be able to pick up your tickets at any SNCF station or boutique (ticket shop) in France, even though you originally chose Great Britain.

Posted by
78 posts

To both Larry & Tim: Perfect, exactly info needed. Phew - what a relief. From Hawaii, Mahalo, Jqckie

Posted by
8700 posts

Jackie,

Since you've included me in your "thank you," I'll say, "You're welcome." And I'll add one recommendation: While the 6-person couchette is OK, it's worth spending a little more for the 4-person couchette. Both couchettes are the same size, but with fewer people there is more room for luggage and less of a crowded feeling in the 4-person one.

Posted by
78 posts

is Minot the one where one says: Minot, why not and answer reason, freezin ?