Please sign in to post.

Train Passes

I was wondering if anyone has used the Rick Steves site to purchase SwissPasses
for the trains in Switzerland before they leave home .

Posted by
9100 posts

Yes, I've purchased the Swiss Pass on four separate occasions via this site' no problems. Swiss Passes are actually issued by Rail Europe. So when you purchase them you will be redirected to a special Rail Europe/Rick Steves Site. But the passes will be mailed from RS offices.

Posted by
504 posts

Since we live close to the ETBD store in Edmonds we purchased our Swiss Cards on location a few weeks ago. They too were issued by Rail Europe ($146 each). Very helpful staff at the store (they respond to e-mail questions promptly too) and we used our 20% off discount for the pass right then and there! Bought the convertible bags and can't wait to break them in this summer!

Posted by
6898 posts

Note that the Swiss Pass from Rail Europe has limitations in the Berner Oberland. It provides no better than 25% discount on tickets from Interlaken Ost into the Lauterbrunnen valley. Same discount from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen and from Lauterbrunnen to Murren via the BLM funicular/cog train. It provides no discount on the local bus in the valley or on the gondola system from Stechelberg up to the Shilthorn. This includes Gimmelwald.

This information comes directly from the Swiss rail site (www.sbb.ch) as a result of my inquiry to them on this subjet.

I'd be curious if traveler's found that their Rail Europe Swiss Pass did any better than I described above.

Posted by
9100 posts

The Swiss Pass one gets from Rail Europe/Rick Steves has the same exact coverage as the one you buy direct from Swiss Rail(SBB). For example it covers 100% the the rail/cable car trip to from Interlaken Ost to Lautrburren, Murren, Gimmelwald, and Wenegn. Above that you get the full 50% discount. Its all fully described here: http://www.ricksteves.com/rail/ausswitz.htm
Its the Eurail passes that don't cover transport beyond Interlaken.
That person from Swiss Rail gave you bad info.