Please sign in to post.

Train or car

We need transportation from Milan to interlaken. The problem is the train I booked has a problem with direct service and railmeurope sent us a message saying we need to use a bus for a part of trip. Is driving a viable alternative?

Posted by
32328 posts

Julie, Are you travelling with Michael? Using a car on that route wouldn't be my first choice. To begin with, renting a car in one country and drroping in another usually comes with a hefty fee. Also, a car rented in Italy likely wouldn't have the highway tax Vignette for Switzerland, so you'd have to stop and buy that or face a hefty fine. If I was facing the same situation, I'd either: a) Stay with the original plan and use the Bus provided by the rail company to ferry you around the work site. I've had to do that in Austria, and it's not really that bad. b) Buy a new ticket using another route. As I mentioned on the post to Michael, there are trains travelling from Milan to Interlaken through Stresa and Domodossola with a travel time of 3H:03M. It would help to know the details of the ticket you purchased. Compare both option and take the one that works best for you. Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
33553 posts

SBB/FFS say the bus adds 90 minutes. Would it be worth it to go through all the rigamarole for 90 minutes delay? It can be quite an experience to drive the Gotthard Tunnel, and the bank around Domodosolla.

Posted by
17249 posts

Assuming we are talking about the Milan to Brig route, SBB says the morning trains are going through, with no bus connection, but they are very crowded. On what train are you booked? The main disruption is on the Gotthard route, which goes from Milan to Luzern or Zurich.