Please sign in to post.

Train or Car ?

We are planning a month+ loop trip which will include Paris, Normandy, Haarlem, Koln, Rhine (Koblenz area) Bavaria, Salzburg area, maybe Venice and Cinque Terra, Berner Oberland area of Switzerland and back to Paris That is simplified, but I say Haarlem because we tend to stay out of cities like Amsterdam and day trip in by train. So my question is other than Paris, where we would NOT rent a car, do you think this trip would be more economical by car or train? We are a family of three adults. I planned it first by car staying at least a couple nights or more in each place and with only 3 hours or less driving on most days. In Paris we use public transportation until we head for Normandy and then pick up the rental car. I had it all planned and then called ETBD for a question or two. They really wanted me to buy train tickets. I understand Europeans use trains there like we use cars here because they have a great rail system. But RS also says in his books that 3 or more people can drive cheaper and it is the best choice in the countryside. Most of our trip is outside big cities. So I am confused... unless it is advice for the purpose of ticket sales. Please comment and give advise . Thank you.

Posted by
813 posts

Doing a rental car is the right way. You are dead on about no car in Paris. Also staying just outside the major cities and using the trains to go in and out is a good idea. With the amount of time and distance you are planning a car is the way to go. Actually we have always used a car for the flexibility it gives especially in the countryside. After we checked out ofour hotel in Paris we took the RER to the airport and picked up the car. At the end of the trip we dopped it off at CDG and stayed at the Hotel IBIS (super convenient)and flew out the next morning. With the distance you will be covering you absolutely want to opt up to a diesel they deliver great fuel economy with very good performance. If you need an automatic transmission, you probaly should look more at Peugeot since they offer more choices in that area. Last fall we had a Peugeot 308 diesel automatic that we put 3900 mles on and averaged 44 mpg. You should reserve as soon a possible since atuomatics are somewhat restricted. The nice parts about the lease program are that; 1) the car is brand new and it will be what you reserved, 2) it is insured to the hilt, 3)anyone in your family over 18 can drive with no extra charges, 4) if you pick up and drop off in France there are no extra fees at the airports. If you do decide to do a lease, ask the nice people for more detailed instructions about where the contact point is in the terminal, CDG is a big place and most of the pay phones use cards or tokens. Hope I have not confused you too much. Have a great trip

Posted by
17249 posts

I don't think the RS people gave you that advice to sell tickets, because they do not sell train tickets, only passes. But I agree with Irv that a leased car is a great way to go for a month-long trip.

Posted by
6898 posts

A rental car will work just fine. However, you have listed 3 places where driving will be a limiting factor. First, Venice. No cars in Venice but there is a great parking garage at the Piazzale Roma. Works great.
You pay a few Euros for parking (actually a lot of Euros) but it may be worth it. Here's a link for more info on the garage. http://www.asmvenezia.it/index_eng.html Second, with very limited exceptions, there are no tourist cars permitted in the 5 CT towns. There is a 6-story garage in Riomaggiore high in the hills and a parking lot in Monterosso. There are other smaller lots high above the villages that fill up during the summer. Last is the Berner Oberland. Two things here. To drive in Switzerland you must have a vignette showing on your car. This sticker costs about 40CHF. Secondly, there is parking in Interlaken and in Lauterbrunnen and Stechelberg. The last two are paid parking areas. Above Lauterbrunnen and Stechelberg (Gimmelwald, Muerren and I think Wengen, no tourist cars are permitted. All in all, you should do just fine with the rental car.

Posted by
32328 posts

Cynthia, That's a LOT of driving to do in a month! My preference would be well planned rail journeys, with "strategic" car rentals to get to places not well served by trains. There's probably a good reason why ETBD suggested buying train tricks. They don't sell train tickets, so there's no way they would gain any benefit from that suggestion. I suspect they provided what they felt was the best advice for the specific circumstances of your trip. If you'll be spending most of your time in the country, then a car may be the best choice. However, when in cities the car will be gathering dust in a parking lot. Be sure to budget for high fuel costs, tolls and parking. Also note that some automated fuel pumps require "Chip & PIN" credit cards, so at those locations you won't be able to buy fuel unless the station is "attended". Having a car in the Cinque Terre is of no benefit, as most of the villages are "car free" (the exception is Monterosso). Also keep in mind that some of the roads were damaged by the Oct. 25 floods, and they're not yet back to normal. You'd be better to park at La Spezia and just use the local train. As you'll be driving in Italy, are you aware of the usual "caveats" for driving there? If not, post another note for further details. Happy travels!

Posted by
6951 posts

I've driven in the Netherlands, Normandy, the German destinations you mention, and around Salzburg. If I were returning to Normandy, I would absolutely want a car - it's nearly impossible to get places without one. I would be willing to drive in the German destinations again, generally, if it saved me a lot of $. But in Germany, my train experiences have shown me that it almost never pays to drive, and trains are extremely convenient there (and in Switzerland.) And it's pointless to take a car to Venice, and I'd never want to drive in Italy - it's bad enough there being a pedestrian. The Netherlands car trip involved a VERY nasty traffic jam on the motorway. I would try to cobble together several transport options, as follows, to see how the numbers work. After Paris, look into a car for Normandy for a few days - pick up in Versailles. After Normandy, drive through France over to Forbach at the German border to drop the car. In Germany take advantage of the small-group daypasses for train travel once you're there (generally under 30€/day for 2-5 people traveling together.) These passes work for reaching Salzburg too. Similar passes are available in Austria for small-group outings (Einfach Raus tickets, 28€/day.) You can get advance-sale train tickets from Germany to A'dam or Haarlem and back ( www.bahn.de ) at reasonable prices (like 19€ each from Cologne, for example.) Buy 92-days out for these train-specific fares. You can get the same prices from Stuttgart or other German cities to Zurich or other points in Switzerland. Check www.sbb.ch for other journeys within CH. Italy? I wouldn't drive. Check prices at www.trenitalia.com I would fly from Italy back to Paris - www.whichbudget.com for cheap airlines.

Posted by
3050 posts

I think Ken and Russ are right that a mix of car rental and trains would best serve your trip. And nah, not all Europeans use trains here like you use cars there. Most Europeans I know are madly in love with their cars and I find myself, as an American, in the position of explaining how to make Deutschebahn trips affordable compared to driving. I know very few Europeans who love the rail systems here as much as American tourists do - not because it's not a great rail system, but because they take it for granted and like to drive.