Please sign in to post.

Train Munich to Prague

Am I reading this right? 4 of us (ages 15, 46, 51, 66) can take an ICE train 1st class from Munich to Prague for 236e total? Also, if this is the true, the 2nd class compartment is about 100e less. Is 1st class worth it for the extra 25e pp?

Posted by
6948 posts

Those are special advance-purchase discount fares in limited quantities. There are penalties for any changes. Make sure you want them, then buy them ASAP. The 2nd Class tickets are fine and get you there just as fast.

Posted by
23568 posts

We don't think so. We ride second most of the time. However, the train/bus is the faster way to Prague. The train takes about an hour longer.

Posted by
19240 posts

I don't think there is all ICE connection from Munich to Prague. There is an ICE to Nürnberg and the Bahn Intercity bus from there to Prague. And the stating train specific, non-refundable 1st class fare is €236. Starting fare for 2nd class is €116 for four people. If you are willing to spend an hour longer in 2nd class on one of the direct or 1 change regional trains, it will cost four people about €57 for using a buy-the-day-of-travel Bayern-Böhmen ticket.

Posted by
19240 posts

I never meant to imply that the Bayern-Böhmen ticket costs €57, or that it alone would get them all of the way to Prague, only that Munich to Praque would cost €57 for the four of them if they used a Bayern-Böhmen ticket. The Bayern-Böhmen ticket alone costs €33 and will take them to Pilsen. Individual Czech Rail tickets from Pilsen to Prague are about €6 each (4 x 6 + 33 = 57). It takes an hour longer by regional train, but costs a lot less and avoids the specific time commitment. Sorry if the wording was misleading. I've edited the previous post to make it clearer.