Please sign in to post.

train - Interlaken to Venice

Hello,

Looking to buy tickets from Interlaken Ost to Venice. Santa Lucia
I went to Rail Europe link on Rick Steves and it told me it was unable to locate Interlaken? Nor Speiz?
odd.

thanks for any info

Posted by
20072 posts

Don't use Rail Europe, but still it can be complicated. But Swiss National railway will sell you a through ticket at www.sbb.ch/en.

Posted by
8437 posts

I believe its Spiez, not Speiz, if that helps.

Posted by
8889 posts

As Sam says, use SBB: https://www.sbb.ch/en
Always first choice should be the railway company running the trains, not a reseller in a different continent.

For Interlaken Ost to Venezia S. Lucia, for a random date in April, SBB is currently selling tickets for CHF 107 (2nd class, per person, no discounts)
You may be able to better that price if you split the purchase, buy Interlaken to Brig at SBB, and Brig - MIlan - Venice at Trenitalia ( https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html )
For my random date, doing it that way I got CHF 23 + €57, which is cheaper.

Posted by
20072 posts

Yes, Trenitalia can only sell tickets for trains that go from Switzerland into Italy. There are no trains that go through Interlaken that go to Italy, but there are several trains a day that go through Spiez to Milan, Thus Trenitalia can sell tickets from Spiez to Venice, and you buy the local connecting train from Interlaken from SBB. There is also one train a day from Geneva to Venice, and you can pick that up in Brig. That train does not require a train change in Milan. You can buy that at Trenitalia as well, but you need a separate ticket from SBB for the Interlaken to Brig segment.

Switzerland does not sell internal train tickets through resellers like Trainline or Rail Europe.

Posted by
24 posts

Hello,
Thank you for the info. This is what I get when I put in May 5 >>>>>

"International journey
Note
PLEASE NOTE that we are unable to calculate or issue tickets for the complete standard offer."

But it does list a ticket price of 250 for two?

I will try to Brig then Venice.

thanks for any info

Posted by
20072 posts

At what website?

I just got to the payment page for 2 seats (with Swiss seat reservations) for nonrefundable ticket from Interlaken Ost to Venezia S. Lucia, with train changes at Spiez and Brig costing 194 CHF for May 5.
At www.sbb.ch/en.

Posted by
24 posts

Hello

Trenitalia gives me trains from Interlaken Ost to Venice, but I get a logo of a shopping cart with red line trough it?

thanks for any info

Posted by
8889 posts

bogus, it is as we explained earlier.

• Trenitalia (Italian Railways) sells tickets for its own trains in Italy, plus trains crossing the border to other countries. It does not sell tickets for trains wholly within in Switzerland.
  • SBB (Swiss railways) does sell tickets for trains in Italy, but does not necessarily have all the cheapest tickets. And obviously it sells tickets for Switzerland.

It takes 3 trains to get from Interlaken to Venice. It is always the same route, but where you change can vary.
Sometimes: Interlaken Ost - Spiez, Spiez - Milan and Milan -Venice.
At other times: Interaken Ost - Spiez, Spiez - Brig and Brig - Venice

Trenitalia will not sell you the leg Interlaken Ost - Spiez. It will sell you the train that crosses the border, and onward all the way to Venice.
So you need to split the purchase, Spiez (or Brig) to Venice on Trenitalia, Interlaken Ost to Brig/Spiezon SBB.

Posted by
24 posts

Thank you very much for the information.

I can book Interlaken Ost to Speiz.

On the Trenitalia site I have a 10:36 Spiez departure to Venice Santa Lucia on May 5th.

Under the price column it has a shopping cart with red line through it.
The next listing departing at 14:05 from Spiez-Venice does show a price and can book.

Do you know why?

Posted by
20072 posts

Because the 10:36 includes an internal Swiss train (Spiez to Brig) that does not go to Italy, thus Trenitalia can't sell it. That is a horrible itinerary anyway with 4 train changes.

If you want a better one, take the 8:05 departure out of Spiez. It is 63.50 EUR and has only 1 change in Milan.