Please sign in to post.

train in Italy

My husband and I will departing our cruise in Civitavecchia and first heading by train to Caserta to visit the Palace in the afternoon. Then we want to reboard the train to spend that night in Naples. We will be returning to Rome from Naples about 5 days later. How do we do this and what is the best type of ticket to purchase?

Posted by
23325 posts

You can check schedules at trenitalia.com. But a couple of general comments. All trains except Regional require a reservation. You would need a specific ticket to Caserta and then to Naples IF using any train other than a Regional. If it is a Regional train then you would buy a ticket to Naples and get on and off at your convenience. You would have to take the train to Termini and then to Naples.

Posted by
167 posts

See if any "MINIs" are available. I got a 9 Euro fare from Venezia to Firenze for early July. Pete

Posted by
6898 posts

This is almost a 4hr journey with two train changes. You board the train at Civitavecchia. This will most likely be Regionale-class train. This train will take you to Rome Termini. You might be competing with a lot of cruise passengers trying to get onto the same train. At Rome Terminai, most likely change to a Freccirossa high-speed at Rome Termini. This high-speed will take you to Naples Centrale where you will once again change trains to a Regionale-class train. You can see the entire run on www.trenitalia.com. Depending on your departure date, there can be mini-fares available on the high-speed. These will be shown online.