Please sign in to post.

Train Help!!

For the first time in all my train travel planning, I am stumped!!
I am trying to find information/timetable for a train from Veranna-Esini to Locarno on 19th April 2012. DBahn, for the first time ever, is not coming up with the goods, nor is Trenitalia. I have tried putting in dates within the next two months. Still no luck. I'm pinning my hopes on you guys!

Posted by
6735 posts

Try this spelling: Varenna-Esino Then try it later. The note that comes up when I tried indicated there is some timetable change. A similar notice appears at www.trenitalia.com

Posted by
16670 posts

Even if you spell it correctly, Bahn.de does not seem to recognize Varenna-Esino. I have noticed this for a long time. Trenitalia will show you the schedule if you enter dates in the next week. (schedules change in midDecember and Trenitalia is notoriously slow in updating the online schedule). Because the trip goes from Italy into Swotzerland, Trenitalia will not give you the prices. But generally the trip goes Varenna to Milan to Bellinzona to Locarno (two changes on the way) and takes a bit over four hours.

Posted by
91 posts

Varenna-Locarno is a 3-hour train ride, plus a 90-minute stop in Milano Centrale. Check Trenitalia, which shows a Varenna departure at 08.38 reaching Milano at 09.40; then a departure to Locarno at 11.10, arriving at 13.13, after a short change in Bellinzona.

Posted by
32241 posts

Judy, The trip from Varenna-Esino to Locarno is actually fairly straightforward. The schedules for April 2012 won't be posted yet, but you can get a "rough idea" by checking schedules for this week. There three options you can consider: > Travel by "regular" train. The time is ~4H:30M, often with two changes in Milan and Bellinzona. > The scenic route. Travel from Varenna to Domodossola via "regular" train (time as short as 3H:06M) and then transfer to the scenic Cento Valli Railway for the trip to Locarno (~2H). Check This Website for details. > Travel by "regular" train to Stresa (as short as 2H:43M with one change in Milan), and then by Boat to Locarno (I didn't check the schedules). The nautical portion is very scenic, but takes awhile as the boat stops at many towns along the way. Happy travels!

Posted by
977 posts

What a wonderful resource this forum is. Many thanks!