Please sign in to post.

Train from Warnemunde, Germany to Berlin

Two seniors will be in Warnemunde for the day in early July 2012. Would be interested in going to Berlin by train and not take ship's tour. Can't find cost of round trip train (maybe from Rostock?). Do you have to make reservation?

Posted by
19052 posts

It looks like the trip from Warnemünde to Berlin is only by regional train (Warnemünde to Rostock by S-Bahn, Regional Express train to Berlin), and will take at least 3 hours, depending on TOD. So, you are looking at about 6 hours, round trip. Is that what you want? On the weekend, a Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket will let two of you travel all day, on/off, on regional trains in Germany for €40. On weekdays, a Quer-durchs-Land-Ticket will do the same, for travel after 9 AM, for €48 for two. There are no reservations on regional trains in Germany. You can find schedules on the German Rail (Bahn) website. These regional passes are always available from ticket automats in Germany, right up to travel time. If you use a ticket counter, they charge an extra €2 for personal service.

Posted by
2779 posts

It's only regional trains. I'd recommend booking a first class ticket as these trains are usually packed with commuters, young people etc... On most of these trains you cannot make seat reservations which is why I recommend taking first class as well. The train station in Warnemünde is just across the cruise ship quay. It's a very easy short walk only. The S-Bahn trains to Rostock Hbf (where you'll have to change trains) are double decker trains with the lower floor being fully accessible even for wheelchairs. It's usually also a double decker from Rostock to Berlin. Here, however, 1st class is upstairs (because of the panorama view).

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks so much for your info on the trains from Warnemunde (Rostock) to Berlin. It's a long trip to make in one day, so am not sure if I want to do it. Am sure it will be a pretty ride, though.