Please sign in to post.

Train from Vienna to Venice

Help. I am getting lost on this part of my journey. I want to train from Vienna to Venice on Oct 02 2013 during the day. I am staying near the Opera house in Vienna and want to get to the train station in Venice, Santa Lucia. There are 2 seniors travelling. Should I pre-purchase from Canada? Should I get a seniors discount card? Thanks for all your help. This site is so helpful,,,
Judy

Posted by
337 posts

hi
could I suggest you go to the OBB site (Austrian Railways) OBB operate from Vienna to Verona, you can book online sometimes getting a good discount by booking early. You can then get a regular regional train to Venice. regards

Posted by
6898 posts

Judy, there are trains from Vienna to Venice Santa Lucia but many of the runs change to a bus at Villach, Austria for the final leg to Venice. The bus stop in Venice is at the Tronchetto (large parking lot). If you want to buy in advance online, you can get fares as low as 29Euro for the trip. Best place to look is www.oebb.at This is the Austrian train website. Also, please note that on the Austrian train website, Vienna goes by its Austrian spelling of Wien. Here's a picture of what I see for Oct 02. http://gyazo.com/525fd3fc9d2cd2258ac5de98873ef9cc Please note that there is one earlier run that is all train but you change 3 times. The run following what you see above only goes to Venezia Mestre and not Santa Lucia. Also note the 29Euro for the runs with the bus. It's a great fare and the buses are quite nice and comfortable. This 29Euro fare is non-refundable.

Posted by
6898 posts

Way to go Judy. My nephew just did the reverse a couple of weeks ago for 29Euro. I believe that the bus are of the Tronchetto is near the people mover. For 1Euro (at least it used to be 1Euro), you can ride the people move to the Piazzale Roma where you can catch the vaporetto.

Posted by
15 posts

Thx Larry, Found that fare and booked the tickets! This forum is awesome! Judy

Posted by
8308 posts

In case you have not noticed, The Alps are a physical barrier between Vienna and Venice. It's almost 400 miles between the two cities, and there is a lack of budget air carriers flying between the two. It's a tough day's travel.
An alternative if you're going to be visiting Rome would to fly on Niki Airlines (budget carrier) from Vienna to Rome and backtrack to Venice by 4 hr. fast train.

Posted by
14809 posts

Hi, I'm going to assume you want to do this trip by day. In that case I would suggest breaking up the ride. Take the RJ train direct from Vienna (Wien West) to Munich, stay the night, then take the Munich-Venice EC train direct.

Posted by
15 posts

Thanks all. I bought tickets as suggested by Larry. Great price and exactly what I was looking for. Good times too.