Please sign in to post.

Train from Vienna to Prague

We are planning a rail trip from Vienna to Prague in November and was curious about cell phone and WiFi coverage. Has anyone taken that route and is there coverage?

Posted by
32212 posts

Suzy, There likely won't be any Wi-Fi coverage during the rail trip, but Cell phone coverage should be solid (except in tunnels of course). A more important question is whether your Cell phones will even work in Europe? Could you provide further information?

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for the reply Ken, our phones are both BlackBerry's with global coverage so I don't think that will be a problem. My main concern is cell coverage because my hubby needs to be in constant contact with his office and asked if phones worked on trains. Since we have never been on a train in Europe (muchless anywhere), we weren't sure how it works. Looking forward to it! Thanks again.
Suzy

Posted by
32212 posts

Suzy, As you'll be using "Smartphones", it's going to be VERY important to check the costs of data roaming, as that can be horrendously expensive! You might want to have a look at my earlier post on this subject at www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm/rurl/topic/62736/is-everyone-aware-of-the-risks-when-travelling-with-smart-phones.html Of course, If your husband's firm is paying for the phones while you'll be in Europe, then no worries (although the accounting department might "blow a gasket" when they see the bill). Be sure to inform your home cell network that you'll be travelling with the phones. Happy travels!

Posted by
3 posts

Oh, yes! The fees can be very high as we found out the hard way a few years ago. We will be sure to check out the plans before we leave for our trip later this year. Thanks for you advise!