Please sign in to post.

Train from Rome to Florence

My husband & I are planning a trip to Italy in September. We are flying into Rome & we were planning on taking the train to Florence as soon as we land. It doesn't look like we are able to buy tickets now. Do we need to wait until we land to buy our tickets? If so, how long will it likely take to get on a train? We land at noon on a Saturday, if that helps at all. Thank You!

Posted by
4412 posts

You can buy tickets starting about 90 days in advance; your trip will cost you either €19/29/43, depending on what cheap advance fares are still available for the train you want. And that's for the 1h30m fast train. Absolutely buy them now, but I personally would allow 2-3 hours after landing, depending on whether you need to collect luggage, etc. You can eat lunch, have coffee, walk around and stretch your legs a bit, etc. Remember - you still have to get from FCO to Roma Termini! Relax and eat lunch, etc., after arriving at Termini. (This is a prime opportunity to eat at McDonalds, if you're so inclined. It's smack dab in the center of the train station...and tastes just like home...you may not be up to deciphering Italian menus at this point, having just gotten off of the airplane...) Purchase your tickets online at Trenitalia.com; click on the Englsh flag at the top center of the page. Before buying tickets, be sure to carefully read the following post! http://www.roninrome.com/transportation/ticket-purchasing-issues-using-the-trenitalia-website#more-17841

Posted by
209 posts

Eileen is exactly right about buying tickets now. Do read the thread about purchasing tickets on-line. But I would leave closer to 5-6 hours leeway just in case your flight is late. If you miss the train, you need to buy new tickets. It's worth an hour or two to avoid that. Should the plane land on time and customs go smoothly, why then you can take a walk near Termini and visit the Diocletian Baths and/or shop. That'll still get you to Florence by eight.

Posted by
508 posts

Michele - It can be hit or miss with the availablility of the train from Rome to Florence. At the end of March, we bought our tickets in advance and were happy we did as all the trains until late evening were sold out - we also got a great deal on the mini fares. Also, a few years back all the faster trains were sold out and we had to take the 'slow boat' local train with no air conditioning... Never want to do that again in the heat. I would also agree with Jenny and leave more time - at least 4 hours.

Posted by
6898 posts

Michele, Eileen and Jenny are correct about leaving time between your scheduled landing time and the time your train departs Rome. If you buy a really nice discounted ticket, you are locked into a specific train and departure time. If your plane is late, your ticket could be toast. One alternative is to clear immigration and make your way to the train station in front of Terminal #3. Buy your tickets to Florence there. Don't worry about full trains or missing your train. 55 trains a day depart Rome-Termini for Florence. That's about 23,000 available seats. The trains don't run full. However, you will pay the base fare. If you want, you can go on the website and buy discounted tickets now that you have been properly cautioned. Just be sure to register on the website.