Please sign in to post.

Train from Paris to Barcelona

We will be taking a cruise out of Barcelona but will be spending five days before in Paris. My husband (who is a rail buff) wants to take the train to Barcelona. My question is that there are two day trains available. One leaves from Paris at around 9:30a and the other at 11:20 Both arrive in Barcelona around 8pm at night. The earlier one stops in Montpellier for an hour and a half. The other in Narbonne for only 27 minutes. The later one is preferred since it gives us more time to check out of hotel and get to station and less time overall traveling but the 27 min bother me. Is that enough time? If we miss our connection we will be driving to Barcelona as we have to board the ship the next afternoon. I have never been to Europe so don't know how big a station Narbonne is and is a tight connection really an issue? Thanks

Posted by
1078 posts

It depends on how much luggage you have and what kind of shape you're in--will you have a bunch of luggage to drag up and down the stairs if you have to move from say, track 3 to track 8? Most stations have stairs, not escalators.
Personally, 27 minutes would be fine with me, however, I travel with a back pack and a 21" roller board.

Posted by
85 posts

Luggage will not be an issue as we are each going with only a roller bag each. I am more concerned how big the station is. If it is a small station it shouldn't be a problem as long as the first train is ontime.

Posted by
4684 posts

Narbonne station isn't very large, and 27 minutes as a connection time would be fine at all but the very largest and most complicated. It should be fine.

Posted by
85 posts

Thanks. I figured it would be but not knowing anything about the stations in France I needed some reassurance.