Please sign in to post.

Train from Paris to Barcelona

We are wanting to take train from Paris to Barcelona with one stop overnight. Looked at Lyon which is about half way, however would have to change trains twice from Lyon to Barcelona. Any suggestions on where we could stop on the way to Barcelona ...where we will be starting our cruise after 3 nights in Paris and then one night stopover and then one night in Barcelona before cruising on September 20/12.

Posted by
508 posts

DBora - I haven't taken the train from Paris to Barcelona, but have been to both cities multiple times. We looked into train connections between the two but it just took too long. You haven't mentioned specifically why you wanted to take the train, so I am offering other suggestions. Having taken the train in several countries, my preference is to spend as much time as possible in each place and take the quickest transportation I can find. My suggestion would be to add another night in Barcelona, giving you another full day there as there is so much to see. Just get a quick flight on a budget airline. Another option would be to take a fast train from Paris to Lyon and then take a quick flight on easyJet (or other budget airline - often in the $50 range) to Barcelona. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
4 posts

Thanx Julie,
My husband refuses to fly in Europe so we are only looking at trains.

Posted by
6898 posts

Most trains from France to Barcelona will require at least one train change at Figueres-Vilifant. There, you change from the French TGV to the Spanish Renfe trains. Some, like the night train, and a few others don't do this but most do. I am looking at the runs and I do see most from Lyon with 2 train changes. You won't avoid this if you stop overnight somewhere along the way. Interestingly, you can get a direct TGV with no changes to Avignon TGV station from Paris. 2hrs 39min. It stops once in Lyon. But, it's 6+ hours to Barcelona from Avignon the next day and again, 2 train changes.

Posted by
85 posts

My husband and I took the train from Paris to Barcelona prior to a cruise last year. We did not take the night train. We left Paris about 7:30 am and arrived in Barcelona at about 2pm with one stop (10 minute layover) We enjoyed it and just spent the day reading, catching up on postcards, etc, had a nice lunch onboard and both trains were wonderful, very clean and no problems. We arrived in Barcelona in time to check in to our hotel, have a nice dinner and walk along the waterfront. We boarded the ship the next day. Unfortunately with our next cruise next year we will have to fly inter Europe to get to our port. Not looking forward to that (but can not pass up the opportunity for another precruise stay in Paris.....

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you so much Sherri!! Great information. Maybe that is what we should do...use the time to relax prrior to the cruise and also spend one more day in Paris. We are staying one night in Barcelona before the cruise and 3 days after. What train was that you took? Was it TGV? Did you go first class? Your information is much appreciated!
DBora

Posted by
8700 posts

DBora, The trains to which Sherri refers are a TGV from Paris Lyon to Figueres-Vilafant and an Arco train from there to Barcelona Sants. For detailed timetables, see the German Rail site.