Please sign in to post.

Train from Paris to Amsterdam

I have a Flexpass but noticed many of the trains between Paris and Amsterdam are Thaly's and require a reservation. I'm traveling on 4/30, the Queen's Birthday. I was on Rail Europe to try to book a reservation (and checked Thaly's too), but no luck. What is the best way to train from Paris to Amsterdam, especially if I have a railpass but don't make a reservation? Originally I was just planning on going to the train station upon arrival in Paris and walking on a train, but will I be able to do that?

Posted by
4555 posts

No you can't just walk on...you'll be fined. I would try calling the French national railways, SNCF, as soon as you can to get a reservation....remember, they're 6 hours ahead of us. 011-33-8-92-35-3539. If that doesn't work, your only hope is to get to a train station in Paris as soon as you arrive and hope for a cancellation.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks Norm! This has been a frustrating process - I bought a railpass thinking that was it, but then these other reservations are throwing me off. Instead of taking a direct Paris-Amsterdam train, I might try Paris to Brussels and explore options from there. Any suggestions? Also, via SNCF or TGV online, if I'm already a Railpass holder, any idea how to just pay for a reservation and not a full ticket?

Posted by
4555 posts

Unfortunately, you can't make just a reservation on-line...that's why you have to call (or use RailEurope....much more expensive). Thalys is the only train that makes the direct Paris-Brussels run, unfortunately, and you ALWAYS pay a supplement for that. You could try getting a reservation on the TGV Paris-Lille Flandres, then Lille-Flandres to Amsterdam, via Antwerp...no reservations needed (or allowed) on that segment. It's about 5 hours versus 4 hours on the Thalys....but at least you'll be able to make the trip!

Posted by
8700 posts

Are you flying into CDG and then planning to go directly to Amsterdam? If so and the timing is right, you can take a TGV directly from CDG to Bruxelles-Midi and an IC train from there to Amsterdam. Buy your TGV reservation (3 or 4 euro) at CDG. Just walk on an IC train at Bruxelles.

TGVs depart CDG for Bruxelles at 07:44, 09:40, 12:55, and 16:09.

Posted by
3 posts

I really appreciate the suggestions - thanks again! Apparently, there are 2 Amsterdam selections on Rail Europe (for Centraal and Skirphol). I tried the Skirphol one and grabbed a direct reservation from Paris (of course, pricier via Rail Europe, but in this case, I'll pay a little extra for the peace of mind, especially after a long trans-atlantic flight). I'm staying in Haarlem anyway, and RS has great instructions on how to get from the airport to there, so hopefully I should be set! Will still take a look at the direct from CDG though, just to check it out.