Please sign in to post.

Train from Naples to Sorrento

We will be in Italy in mid October and will need to take a train from Naples to Sorrento. Do we need to pre-book .. or can we just wait and get tickets when we arrive from Rome at the Naples train station?

Posted by
23573 posts

Cannot prebook. Just go downstairs, follow the signs. It is a commuter run, no reserved seats, every 15, 20 minutes. Buy ticket, validate, and get on. No seats, stand until a seat becomes available.

Posted by
32329 posts

marsha, A bit of further information...... The train that Frank is referring to is the Circumvesuviana, and you'll find it on the lower level of Napoli Centrale. Tickets are cheap and there are frequent departures. Note that they operate several lines so be sure to board the correct train. Sorrento is the end-of-the-line on that route. Check their website for all the details. Don't be alarmed at the appearance of the trains. I often refer to them as "graffiti laden clunkers", but they will get you to Sorrento. The Circumvesuviana has a bit of a "reputation" so be sure you're wearing Money Belts and watch your luggage. Happy travels!

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you for your kind responses - has anyone used a private car from Naples to Sorrento? If the train seems "sketchy" for three women travelling alone - would we be better off with a paid driver?

Posted by
4160 posts

You really have no reason to be frightened of riding this train . The train certainly has exterior decoration that one could call " colorful " , but I would hesitate to judge a book by its cover . While you should exercise reasonable care as was previously suggested , the Circumvesuviana is a commuter train that services the communities that ring The Bay of Naples and the area is densely populated . For my taste , I loved riding it and was actually fascinated to see how people in another part of the world went about everyday life . As far as the fact that you are three women , I would only add that on the day that my wife and I traveled from Sorrento to Pompeii we had a most entertaining conversation with four ladies from Scotland and they seemed as comfortable as could be. Don't let it worry you ,have a great time !!

Posted by
7053 posts

Just take the train. I was 1 solo female traveling alone. Among the 3 of you, you should be fine watching each others' backs. It's really not that scary. Live as the locals.

Posted by
1829 posts

I have lost count of the number of times I have ridden on the Circumvesuviana during the 30 years I have been taking holidays in Sorrento. However, these days we prefer a private transfer when we have luggage. Being met off the train/plane and driven in an air conditioned car to the door of my lodging is IMO hard to beat and a great way to start the holiday. Even more so if there is a further journey needed when we get to Sorrento railway station. So I will differ and say, if you can afford it, go with the private tranfer. We still use the Circumvesuviana for day trips to Pompeii etc.

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you SO much! This forum has been so helpful and I appreciate all your responses.

Posted by
51 posts

Marsha, we will be doing the same thing a couple of weeks after you. Would love to know your experience.

Posted by
811 posts

for the most part you'll see old people and school kids on the commute train so there should be no problem. another option you could try is to take a taxi in front of the train station to the speed boat dock close to castle nuovo, and take the speed boat to Sorrento. it's a bit more expensive, but you get to check out naples from a taxi, and if you have people taking turn to look over luggage at the dock you can quickly take a look at the castle, it's actually pretty cool from the outside.