Please sign in to post.

train from Milan to Rome

We will need to take a train from Milan (near the airport) to Rome's FCO airport. What train would we take and what station would we catch it at? Our departure flight is on Sept. 22, 2013 at 11:15 am. What is the cost? We are 2 seniors.

Posted by
3260 posts

Margie, you should spend the night before your flight closer to Rome. You cannot get to the Rome airport from Milan on a Sunday in time to catch your flight. The fast Frecciarossa trains cover the distance from Milan Central to Rome in 3 hours, but in Sunday the first one does not leave Milan until 7:00 am. You would get to Rome Termini at 10 and still have to travel to the airport---way too late to catch your flight.

Posted by
8700 posts

It sounds like you want to travel from Milan to FCO on the same day that your flight leaves. That won't work. The earliest you could get there is 09:53. Assuming you will be flying home, you need to be at FCO three hours before your flight's scheduled departure time. You'll need to go to Rome on the 21st and spend the night there. To maximize your time in Milan, take an evening train to Rome. On the 21st, high-speed trains from Milano Centrale to Roma Termini depart at 18:15, 19:00, and 19:15. The base (standard) 2nd class fare is €86.00. If you book today at trenitalia.com, you still can get an Economy fare of €49.00 for the 18:15 train, a Super Economy fare of €39.00 for the 19:00 train, and an Economy fare of €49.00 for the 19:15 train. Discount fare tickets are non-exchangeable and non-refundable so be sure you can commit before booking. Stay in a hotel near Termini and take the Leonardo Express train to FCO in the morning. The 07:22 train arrives at FCO at 07:53. The 07:52 train arrives at 08:23. The fare is €14.00. This is a Regionale train with open seating and no discount fares. Or you could stay in an airport hotel and not have to get up so early in the morning. The 19:15 train from Milano Centrale arrives at Roma Termini at 22:35. That would leave you time to catch the 22:52 Leonardo Express which arrives at FCO at 23:23.

Posted by
3260 posts

Tim, are you saying they could get to FCO airport at 9:53? On a Sunday? Where did you find that? Just trying to understand what I missed because the earliest I saw was 10:00 arrival at Termini which would put them at FCO even later. Is there a different routing that works to FCO?

Posted by
8700 posts

Sasha, You are correct about Sunday times. I entered an arbitrary weekday date when I did a timetable check. Since I know that timetables often are different on Saturdays and/or Sundays, I shouldn't have done that.