Please sign in to post.

Train from London to Liverpool

Hi. I'm thinking of going to Liverpool for a few days while we are in London. Has anyone ever taken the train there? It looks to me as if it's slightly longer than a 2 hr trip. Can I get advice from people on what you recommend? Thanks!

Posted by
4684 posts

It's a reasonable journey by train. However, you need to book in advance to avoid paying a sky-high fare on the day - look on www.virgintrains.co.uk around three months in advance of travel. The cheap fares are strictly limited to the specific train you chose - if you miss it you will have to buy a new full-price fare.

Posted by
506 posts

The train system is great in England. If you go to the National web site and put in your itinerary they will show you what train company you need to book on. It seems confusing at first because they have all these private rail companies, but they select for you. If you do this at least 6 weeks in advance you will not believe the discount you will receive, I mean 100's of dollars. We got such a deal to York that I did not even care if we lost the tickets if the trip had to get cancelled. Well worth doing it in advance. The web site is listed in the Rick Steve's guide bood.

Posted by
3 posts

I did the train from London to Liverpool. It was worth it! We really enjoyed the ride. It got scenic. Another thing about Liverpool is that if you wanted to fly somewhere cheap with Ryanaair you could depart from Liverpool. (We did that and went to Rome. Worked out nicely!)