Please sign in to post.

Train from London to Edinburgh

We are planning on flying into London in late Sept and will arrive at 6:30 a.m. In my research, I have read the quickest way to the train station is to take the Picadilly line to Kings' Cross. My questions are: how long will this take early in the morning (sat) and can I make a 10:00 a.m. train to Edinburgh? Thanks.

Posted by
342 posts

Joyce, my husband and I have done this numerous times; and it takes 1 hour once you're on the tube to get from Heathrow to Kings Cross. That is assuming there are no planned weekend service interruptions for upgrades, etc. This past March when we arrived at Heathrow (Terminal 1) at 10 AM, it took us slightly more than 3 hours to get through immigration, get our luggage, get on the tube to Kings Cross, and retrieve our tickets from the manned ticket desk because the automated ticket machine didn't like my credit card without a "chip" in it. It would have taken us longer but we already had our Oyster cards, and we knew where we were going and how to get there. I suggest you aim for the 11 AM train to be on the safe side.

Posted by
8700 posts

I agree with Mary. Play it safe and take the 11:00 train, especially if you book discount fare tickets which are for a specific departure time and are non-exchangeable and non-refundable. Discount fare tickets are released about 12 weeks in advance. Book at www.eastcoast.co.uk and print your own tickets. However, as much as I love trains, I'll suggest that you consider flying from Heathrow to Edinburgh. Leave at 09:45 on British Airways or at 10:40 on BMI. Booked now, you can get a cheap fare on either airline.