Please sign in to post.

train from florence to lyon

trying to buy a train ticket from florence to lyon with only one stop, more than 30 min to allow enough time for transfer.
Cant find a reliable website that would have both the timetable and sell ticket. going on oct 28. I am thinking is a scenic route and worth the train ride.

Posted by
8154 posts

It's a 8.5 to 9 hour train and bus trip from Florence to Lyon--450 miles.

Most would take a flight up there. Volotea flies twice weekly seasonally. Otherwise, you'll have to make a connecting flight and it'll take you about 3.5 hours. The flights shouldn't be too expensive. Sure beats a long train trip.

Posted by
1685 posts

It should be possible to do this in 7 1/2 hours, but currently the direct trains Milano - Lyon run by Trenitalia aren't open for booking yet. October is still far away.

Posted by
954 posts

You can also check Trainline.com. I see several trains to Lyon Part-Dieu. Looks like you can take

Italo 9924 at 12:25 PM from Firenze Santa Maria Novella to Torino Porta Susa
2h 55m

1h 20m transfer time

Then on Trenitalia France, FR 9296 at 4:40 PM to Lyon Part-Dieu arriving at 8:23pm.

Sounds like a nice day!

Posted by
3812 posts

The Milan-Lyon Freccia trains via Turin are open for bookings on trenitalia.com, including the 16:40 #9296

If Trenitalia isn't selling through tickets to Lyon departing from other cities, I'd wait a few weeks instead of making two separate purchases.

I don't trust resellers like trainline, especially when buying international trains. Even more when Trainline tries to sell a non-protected connection between competing railway companies (Italo and Trenitalia) without any warning. Quite close to a scam, imho.