Please sign in to post.

Train Fares

Is there much of problem purchasing a ticket after we arrive in Frankfurt? We arrive around 7 a.m. so would have all day to travel.

Posted by
19092 posts

I assume you are still talking about a ticket to Munich. I don't think so.

I have arrived at FRA 5 times without a train ticket. Twice I went by train (ICE or IC) to Ulm; twice I went to Karlsruhe by ICE. The last time I went to near Cochem by regional trains with a Rheinland-Pfalz (Länder)-Ticket. I have always been able to purchase tickets at the station. Once, on December 26, a holiday, I should have gotten a reservation with the tickets. The train was completely filled; I had to stand for ½ hr until we reached the next station. When people got up to get off, I got a seat. Although every seat was taken, less than half were reserved.

The next time I rode that train, I asked the man at the counter if I should get a reservation. He said if I wanted to. I passed and I was one of only four people in that car.

If you want to go by the fastest trains (ICE, about 3 hours, or IC, about 5 hours), go out to the Fernbahnhof (take the pedestrian bridge across the access road in front of Terminal 1, then follow the hallway through the building across the street.

If you want to save money, but take more time (6 hrs), go to the Regionalbahnhof, under the building across the street from Terminal 1, accessible by stair from inside the terminal. Buy local tickets to Kahl am Main and a Bayern-Ticket from there. Then take the S-Bahn to the Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof and an RE to Würzburg via Kahl. The S-Bahn might be crowded at that time of morning, but there should be plenty of room on the RE.

Note: you cannot travel before 9 AM workdays with a Bayern-Ticket. The RE that leaves Frankfurt Hbf at 8:34 gets to Kahl just after 9, so it would work.

You can see more information here.

Posted by
3112 posts

There's a train station in the airport. Follow the signs to the station and buy a ticket for the next train to your destination. It's actually very easy.

Posted by
19092 posts

Frank,

there are TWO train stations at the Frankfurt airport, ... and I already described how to get to each of them.

Posted by
2779 posts

I'm lost.. what do you mean? Yes, we can buy train tickets in Frankfurt, too. Internet, vending machines or counters at one of the many railway stations we have in the area... There is a full service railway sales desk at the long distance trains station at Frankfurt airport (across terminal 1 but then it's a 10mins walk). You can buy pretty much any ticket that can be sold in Germany legally ;-)... But they do add service fees if bought at one of those desks. It's cheaper to buy it online and print it out yourselves...

Posted by
19092 posts

Andreas,

why are you lost?

I would never advocate buying a Bayern-Ticket at a counter. Yes, they do add €2 for personal service. However, you can buy one from a vending machine for the lowest price. It's not necessary to buy online to get that price.

Unless you want to take an express train (ICE, IC) there is no point to going out to the Fernbahnhof. They sell the same tickets from vending machines in the Regionalbahnhof.

The only tickets that are cheaper online are the discount tickets, like the Dauer-Spezial-Tickets, which are, Leider, non-refundable.