Please sign in to post.

Train

We will be in Paris and wish to travel from Charles de Gaulle airport to Bruges. Is there a direct way to get there? Then we meet a group at Gare de Lyon upon return. Can we do all of this in two days?
Thanks, Rosemary

Posted by
1266 posts

Rosemary - You will need to catch a Thalys train from Paris Nord station to Brugge. If you book your tickets early enough fare can be as low as € 82,00 per person. Check out www.thayls.com for info.

Posted by
9109 posts

No direct trains, but you can take the TGV train from the airport train station to Brussels, and then transfer to a local train to Bruges. For schedules and fares head to this site: http://www.tgv-europe.com
and don't let the site redirect you to Rail Europe.

Posted by
4412 posts

Whoa! 83€ is too high! What is your travel date? If far enough in the future, you could pay 9.50€ b/n CDG and Paris Nord station (no matter the date of travel), and then 36€ To Bruges. Use Thalys.com for the second leg; arrival station is 'Any Belgian Station', then type in 'Brugge-St-Pieters'. Note that your actual arrival station in Bruges is 'Bruges', and is 4 minutes before the 'Brugge-St-Pieters' station. If you say 'Bruges/Brugge' is your destination, Thalys will only show you one or two trains per day that go directly to the 'Bruges' stn and stops.

Posted by
10556 posts

The French trains, SNCF, go from CDG to Brussels every couple of hours. The Brussels-Bruges route has several local trains every hour. There's no need to go into Paris for the Thalys train to Brussels. To come back, you want to take the Thalys Brussels-Paris train to Paris. We paid 49 euros Bruges-Paris last year. I don't remember what we paid Cdg-Bruges.

Posted by
4412 posts

DUH! You can go from CDG to Brussels! You've got to change trains somewhere, and since my way has you needing to change in Brussels anyway... As usual, the French rail sites aren't cooperating; I think they're on another cigarette break ;-) Actually, they seem to go down a lot especially at midnight, local time, and it's about that time. I was going to try to get you some price estimates, etc...

Posted by
10556 posts

Yep. Thalys has the monopoly leaving from Gare du Nord, but SNCF leaves from the CDG station, direct, TGV. If they are on a cigarette break, they are smoking outside. No longer allowed inside ;) I looked up the price for a random date using the sncf.fr site. It's 39 euros for the one-way with a "prems" fare, that's like an earlybird come-on. Then it's 59. But the 39 is for 1st class, the 59 for second. No second class prems available for the random date. If 60+ there is a senior discounted ticket. So 1st, non-refundable, is cheaper than 2nd, loisir or senior fare. Don't know what they are smoking.... Can you do all this in two days? It depends on what you mean by two days: the arrival day and come back the next day? Or what?

Posted by
3 posts

Reading the replies from this original post were very helpful to TRY to book our train from CDG to Brussels(actually to Bruges, but your posts explained that direct is impossible, now I know why). BUT I have tried 3 times, and the payment won't go through. Is it because I put France as my ticket collection country? Is never asks my address for credit card billing, or the name on the card, for that matter! I chose the "e-ticket" choice, so why does it care what the country of origin is? Help!