Please sign in to post.

To buy or not to buy rail pass for Italy Sept/Oct 2007

We are looking into buying a railpass that will accommodate our travel between cities for the 3 weeks the two of us will be in Italy. Can anyone tell me if the advance purchase pass for first class is recommended or if it would cheaper and just as easy to take the trains without the advance pass? The $300+ advance pass purchase price seems high but I don't want to risk not getting a train to make it to our next city with hotel reservations.

Posted by
10 posts

I neglected to say in below inquiry that we will need rail travel for 5 days of the 3 week period. Sorry.

We are looking into buying a railpass that will accommodate our travel between cities for the 3 weeks the two of us will be in Italy. Can anyone tell me if the advance purchase pass for first class is recommended or if it would cheaper and just as easy to take the trains without the advance pass? The $300+ advance pass purchase price seems high but I don't want to risk not getting a train to make it to our next city with hotel reservations.

Posted by
23282 posts

You didn't indicate time of year. It is strictly a math problem. Go to the Italian train site and add up the point to point tickets. If more than $300 it is worth buying the pass. If it is less, it does not. A pass or a single ticket will make no difference in getting a train.

Posted by
23282 posts

Just noticed you put the dates in the title. At the time of year you will have no problems getting any train that you want.

Posted by
8700 posts

When comparing costs, dont forget that with a pass you will have to buy reservations on trains that require them. That's 3-4 euros on all but EuroStar Italia trains for which the cost is 15 euros. Chances are very good that point-to-point tickets will be cheaper. If you buy your tickets a day or two in advance, you should be able to take any train you wish.

Posted by
8700 posts

One more thing. If you get a pass, buy your reservations a day or two ahead of time just as you would do if you were buying point-to-point tickets.

Posted by
8700 posts

The wording in my note was misleading. I didn't mean to imply that the fare for point-to-point tickets doesn't include reservations. What I meant to say was that if you have a pass and want to take a train that requires reservations, buy those reservations a day or two ahead just like you would buy point-to-point tickets a day or two ahead.

Posted by
7569 posts

Just to help clear the air, A pass does not guarantee you will have a train or a seat, just pays for your basic travel. Reservations would be additional, as well as an upgrade on some premium trains would be additional. So do as mentioned, compare point to point vs the pass cost plus maybe a buffer for reservations. At that time of year, not sure that reservations (unless mandatory) would be required. Keep in mind that on the regional trains, even with no reservation you can always get on, even if you have to stand.

Posted by
1449 posts

Rick says in his book that a railpass in Italy seldom saves money and that for most travelers buying tickets as you go is a better option. Since you'll be standing in line anyway to make reservations even if you have a pass, buy as you go. Use the automated kiosks in almost every station, they have english prompts and are very easy to use. I've traveled in Italy in Sept and never had trouble getting seats (Florence -> Rome, Venice -> Florence, etc). Buy your tix 1-2 days ahead of time as you're traveling so you know when the train leaves and you don't waste time hanging around train stations with all your luggage.