Please sign in to post.

Time between flights

Coming back from Milan, the flights that seem to work best for us all stop in the US instead of Europe. Are we better off taking a flight that stops in Atlanta instead of JFK? Is 3 1/2 hours a better layover option over than 2 1/4 hours? We are ultimately headed to Minneapolis where we will have to get a hotel before driving an additional 3 1/2 hours home. Thanks for any help. For anyone interested, we will be on the Village Italy Tour starting May 14th:)

Posted by
27039 posts

One thing I'd consider is the fall-back options at each gateway airport. If you miss the connection, does your airline (or a partner) have a bunch of later flights to MSP, preferably non-stop? While it's true that the airline will be responsible for getting you home (assuming you're traveling on a single ticket), it can only put you in empty seats on flights that exist.

Posted by
2091 posts

Mnannie, I used matrix.itasoftware.org and found flights on Air Canada that looked good and are direct from MXP into Toronto then Minneapolis. Would you consider other airlines? Personally, I make a point to not have connections through ATL or JFK although beginning or ending a flight there is fine (not that I need to any longer).

Posted by
9530 posts

If I were flying to Minneapolis I wouldn't want to go so far out of my way to Atlanta.

Posted by
1221 posts

I far prefer Atlanta to JFK from an airport comfort standpoint, but that's me. 2.25 hours is fine to clear immigration at either airport under normal conditions, and I'm assuming Delta here, which would have additional flight options that same day on that routing if you misconnect.

Posted by
3989 posts

If you have global entry and are flying Delta, JFK Terminal 4 is quick and easy. The kiosk takes seconds and customs is a walk through if you have nothing to declare so immigration/customs is lightning fast. If your flight to MSP is at T2, you can take a quick airside shuttle. Keep in mind, ATL is out of the way.

That said, which gets you home sooner? That would be an important factor. Next how efficient and fast is ATL immigration? If they are as fast as JFK's Terminal 4, then I would look to see which itinerary has more comfortable seats/seat pitch for the cabin in which I'd be flying.

Posted by
13891 posts

If I were choosing between the 2 I would go with the 3.5 hour layover.

If your other choice is Milan to Amsterdam then MSP I would consider that one as well. I've done that leaving out of the other airport in Milan, Linate, which handles a lot of the intra-Europe flights. From the Village Italy ending point Malpensa Airport is closer but I spent the night in Milan after ending in Orta San Giulio so Linate was actually quicker to get to the next morning. I do hate getting the early, early flights from Italy to get yourself lined up with an international flight though.

Posted by
590 posts

Thank you for all the helpful replies. Both the Atlanta and JFK plane are scheduled to arrive in MSP around 9:00 PM, but we are more comfortable with the layover time of the Atlanta flight. Although we would prefer to arrive back in Minnesota much earlier in the day, the time of departure from Milan had to be late morning or later since we will be traveling to the airport from Lake Orta. We purchased the Atlanta option on Delta for a RT price of $768 each.

Posted by
590 posts

Thanks, Pam:) I just saw your response. Now that I have this airfare purchased, I have to start focusing on our February Yellowstone trip that you helped me plan last March!

Posted by
13891 posts

My word....great ticket price!!

So far I think the snow is ahead of normal in Yellowstone. The park usually closes on the 1st Monday in November but the weather and snow was so bad this year all interior roads were closed on Thursday before the regular Monday closure date and on Friday they made the decision to close the park completely that day as it was due to snow all weekend. I'm sure you'll have fun!

Your VI tour guide will arrange for taxis to take people to the airport or in to Milan. They will try to group people by departure time so you may be able to share with others from your group.

Posted by
590 posts

I have been researching airfare for this trip since the end of July when we booked the tour. On 10/15 I wrote down the cost for the JFK return flight option, and it was $1170, so we very happy to see when it dropped over $400 a ticket. Now we have to start planning hotels for the first week of the trip which will be on our own.

Posted by
13891 posts

I'm glad you nabbed it when you did!

If you are looking for suggestions for pre-tour time, I'd suggest at least one night ahead in Padua, maybe 2. I was really enthralled with Padua and wish I had done more research ahead of time because I found a lot to interest me there. If I were doing it again, I would go to the Scrovegni Chapel before the tour. You do visit on the tour but the Chapel limits the visit time to 15 minutes. You are in a room where you view a video for 15 minutes and then allowed in to the chapel for 15. I am not even that big a fresco fan but this was just beautiful to me!

Also loved the botanical gardens (did not see everything there I wanted to see), did a quick look-see inside the Basilica of Saint Anthony (could have used more time there) and didn't get to explore much in the historic city center altho we did a walking tour thru there. I could have spent way more time in the old markets too!

Venice is certainly a possibility if you haven't been there before or if you've been and enjoyed it!

Posted by
590 posts

Thank you, Pam:) Tentatively, we are planning on three nights in Varenna, three nights in Venice, and one additional night in Padua. My one regret from our Alpine My Way tour last year was not adding an extra night in Salzburg before the tour started. I know not to make that mistake again! We appreciate all suggestions.

Posted by
27039 posts

I don't think you'd regret two nights in Padua. If you ran out of things to do, you could hop on the regionale to Vicenza. But I haven't been to Varenna or spent any significant amount of time around Lake Como.