Please sign in to post.

The dordogne

Thank you Frank for that advice. I could see it was going to be hard. I guess Incould rent a car for the a day or two at Sarlat??? I think I read it is better to rent one over there than here? Suzy

Posted by
977 posts

Suzy why not look at taking a day tour while in Sarlat. That's what we did. Google Allo Phillipe Taxi for a great range of wonderful day tours. Car rental cost might be comparable.

Posted by
30 posts

Thanks Judy,
I am going to send a day and a half in SARLAT, One half day in the town and then the whole next day on the Dordogne river. Just wanted to see Rocamadore and St CIRQ Lapopiew. My friend told me they were truly amazing villages and worth the stop. Has anyone seen them and are they worth it? Suzy

Posted by
3551 posts

We spent half day in Sarlat on market day and thought it was about right. We really enjoyed however the smaller villages like Roca... and St Cirq L.. the driving is very slow to these villages so plan for it. Also visit a Prehistoric Cromagnon Grotte if you can. we enjoyed Font du Graume rather than lascAux II that is a reproduction of original. Whatever and wherever you go you will love the areas beauty and peacefulness. We stayed in Beynac at Residence Versailles and higher recommend.

Posted by
4132 posts

Suzy, I have visited both Rocamador and St Cirq. Both are interesting. Rocamador not, in my view, in quite the same league as other sights in the area (caves, Sarlat, Dordogne castle towns). St. Cirq a gem of a hill town. Neither are going to be very easy to visit without a car. St. Cirq is not in the Dordogne, by the way, but the Lot.

Posted by
1986 posts

I found Rocamador fascinating. We stayed overnight so also had the experience of our luggage being hauled up to our hotel on some kind of a lift. sarlt is also an interesting place to wander around in- the streets and alleys seem very old world

Posted by
30 posts

thanks, Brian, JS, and Adam. I guess I will skip RACAMADOUR and ST CIRQ until another trip when I have a car. I will go from Sarlat to ALBI. Anything that you recommend there? SUZY

Posted by
4132 posts

I just want to caution Suzy that the travel times by train and bus from Sarlat to Albi look to be from 6 to 7-1/2 hours, according to the German rail site.

Posted by
30 posts

Yes Adam, I saw that and it will take most of the day to get there and so I cannot go to CARCASSONE, which I wanted to do on the way. But I am sure the sights will be beautiful. Suzy